On-line scam and Paypal is requesting an internal USPS document that it is impossible for me to get.

pharpe
Contributor
Contributor

I was involved in an online scam where my paypal account was charged but I received no receipt from the vendor and they provided a fake tracking number.  I reported all of the details and provided copies of my emails to the vendor.  

I on 12/2 I attempted to purchased a computer monitor from an online site and paid using Paypal. After submitting the transaction I never received confirmation or a receipt. I did get an email from Paypal that my account was charged. I submitted a request for a receipt via the website customer service link explaining the issue and asked for a confirmation and receipt for the order. I did not get any reply and sent additional emails to the contact email on the Paypal receipt and got no answers.  On 12/4/2019 there was an update on paypal with a tracking number. USPS tracking only shows the city and zip of the destination but not the full address.   I tracked the package, and when it was supposedly delivered, nothing actually arrived.  I have video evidence there was no delivery.

I contacted the post office and found out that the tracking number was spoofed. It was an real tracking number but for an unrelated package that was going to the same city and zip but not my address.   It was from Albany NY and sent to a comply different name and address. It was also only 1 ounce. (Mine was supposed to be a 27" monitor). 

At this point I filed a claim with paypal with all this info.  Paypal closed the case the next day without even talking to me or the seller.  They just said the item was delivered based on the fake tracking number.  I called and spoke to an Paypal agent and explained all of the detail again.  She said I needed to get an Intranet for from the USPS showing the details of the tracking number and upload that.  When I called USPS I was told that the Intranet for is an internal only document and they do not provide that to the public.

So in a case of clear documented fraud Paypal if requiring a document that it is impossible for me to obtain?  What do I do at this point?

Login to Me Too
120 REPLIES 120

MoonFisher
Contributor
Contributor

I can't believe that I fell into this same scam.

I ordered 3 suitcases from a website that I found on a Facebook Ad.

Soon after placing order I became suspicious because I did not receive any confirmation email. 

However, there was an Yahoo email address listed in the PayPal transaction I emailed to that only to get the response that email address does not exist.

I contacted PayPal to reverse the transaction because I did not get any confirmation email.  PayPal contacted the seller and they provided a fake USPS tracking number to PayPal.  PayPal immediately closed my case because the tracking information said it was delivered.

But as other users have mentioned it was just some fake tracking number that showed to delivery to same zip code as mine, no confirmation that it was actually delivered to me.  Also it said that the 3 suitcases were delivered in the mailbox, which is of course impossible.

I contacted PayPal again, they asked to me get the intranet form from USPS showing the actual delivery address attached to the tracking number.  Only that way they can reverse the transaction in my favor.  I contacted USPS they verified that the tracking number has a different delivery address but they cannot give that detail to me to be handed over to anyone.

It is PayPal's fault at all levels.  They are siding with the scammers instead of legit buyers.  They are asking to obtain proof that I cannot possibly get from USPS.  USPS told me that ONLY sender can ask for the tracking details including the delivery address, and they will provide it on a official form.  However PayPal is asking receiver to get that information which is not possible.

The website that I ordered does not exist anymore.  In my original complain to PayPal I mentioned the website address to them also, but since the website is not there anymore PayPal is saying that I provided them with a wrong web address.  They are not even considering the fact that the whole existence of that website was a scam.  They must have come up with another fake website to trick more buyers.

I am going to file a ic3 case, as well as a BBB complain against PayPal.  There is ample evidence that I was scammed and yet they are siding with the scammer.

Shame on  you PayPal.

Login to Me Too

Naoki_
Contributor
Contributor

To follow up, I contacted USPS through their "missing mail" contact form and a couple of days later they responded saying that the tracking number was never supposed to come to my house. I forwarded the email to Paypal, they accepted my appeal (they had already closed my claim in the scammer's favor) and closed the case in my favor.

I got my refund.

Login to Me Too

Temp20210722b
Contributor
Contributor
@ Naoki_ Can you help me which options did you tick in missing mail online form. Please let me know I need to get the same email from usps
Login to Me Too

Naoki_
Contributor
Contributor

I clicked on "Contact Us" at the bottom of the USPS website. Then Email Customer Service (from the area Contact USPS / General Information).

That takes you to https://usps.force.com/emailus/s/

You can enter your tracking number, after that you need to fill some forms with the rest of the information (destination address, origin address if you have it, etc).

Tip: In one of the forms you have an option to explain what was the problem, as in why you're asking for help. I was very explicit about the address where I was expecting that package and that I never got it. Nothing else, ie about the scam. I did that so I didn't get anything other than what I needed from USPS: an email from them saying that the package was addressed to another place.

Login to Me Too

EMO_bow
Contributor
Contributor

I had the exact same thing happen (ordered large package, nothing arrived, inquired, filed claim, vendor sent a tracking number, case closed-it's a scam) - This is is the response I received from PayPal about my issue today:

I can completely understand your concern regarding the dispute case where you have not received the item but the case has been closed now due to which you want to appeal it back. I will request not to worry as we are there to help our customers and I will help you out with all the options available for you in this case.

Upon checking, I see that the dispute case : "case number removed" has been decided in the merchant's favor because the status of the tracking information provided by the seller shows that the item was delivered to your address. Since there's an evidence that item was delivered, I regret that we had to close the case in the seller's favor.

You can check the details of the delivery by using the below link: https://t.17track.net

However, as per your message, I believe in you that you haven't received anything and we can definitely appeal the case for you. For that, you just need to submit an Intranet Form/Document. I highly recommend you get in touch with the shipping company (USPS) and get a form called Intra Net or Intra Form. Then we will review the document and take necessary action. You'll be glad to know that may be able to change our previous decision in your favor when the document shows that the item was delivered to an incorrect address.

In order for or us to disprove the sellers tracking number for your case, we will need the Intranet Form or the confirmation from the mail carrier stating that no item was delivered to the address. We do not need to know where the item was delivered to or to whom received it. Just a simple confirmation that nothing under the assigned tracking number was delivered to your address.

We can accept this proof in any of the following forms;

• A screen shot of an email from the mail carrier to you.
• A screen shot of a messaging transcript between you and the mail carrier, if they have a messaging option.
• A photo of a letter on their company letterhead.
• A photo of a document printed from the mail carrier.

You can upload the document here on the messaging window as a picture using the paperclip icon below or email your appeal request to (email address removed) attaching the document. You may put your case ID as your subject. We are dedicated in providing the best customer service to a valued customer like you.

I know that this can be a challenging time for you because you spent so much for an item you expected you would enjoy. I'd like you to know that PayPal is here for you.

Hope the above information provided by me was useful to you. Feel free to reply whenever you're ready and we'll reply as soon as we can.

Login to Me Too

pharpe
Contributor
Contributor

As the person that started this post almost 2 years ago it's amazing to me that PayPal is still doing this.  In the end I did get me refund but it was a nightmare. My advice is keep calling paypal back until you get a reasonable manager.  Explain the situation nicely (I know this is hard after like 10 hours on the phone) and ask for their help.  What I was told is that they need something official from the Post Office to confirm the package was not sent to me.  The Intranet form is not something the USPS will give out because it shows the address of the actual person the tracking number was sent to.  But you just need something office that confirms its not to you.   I went to my local post office and they gave me a number for the some local USPS administration center.  (I can't remember their term for it) After explaining my situation they agreed to send me a letter on official USPS letterhead stating that the tracking number was not addressed to me.  

Login to Me Too

EMO_bow
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I know, I cannot believe it either. It took me awhile to locate your post (I searched Google for help as the PayPal one is useless) but I finally found it and read through the thread. The history is informative and much appreciated - I can't believe it's STILL happening either, ridiculous. I do appreciate the community's responses and feedback, it is very helpful and hopefully my case won't take as long to resolve. My local mail carrier is great and hoping he can assist with aquiring the 'proof' needed to settle it. Thanks again for the support-I'll keep you posted on my outcome.

Login to Me Too

Jbstick
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same issue and found that if you file a complaint with Law Enforcement PayPal is most responsive in finding for the buyer. I believe the quickest and easiest way to do that is  The Internet Crime Complaint Center ( www.ic3.gov ). Print out the form after you file and scan into your computer as a PDF and upload with a message including your case  number in the message center... View more

Login to Me Too

Jp2time1
New Community Member
Update as of 12/2021. If this happens to you as it did me, open a case with the FBI’s Internet Crimes department at ic.gov. I had been going back and forth with PayPal over a similar issue and they kept asking me to jump through hoops. As soon as I uploaded a copy of the ic.gov form I completed, PayPal ruled in my favor!
Login to Me Too

jose8117

and here we are, January 2022 with the exact same problem.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.