On-line scam and Paypal is requesting an internal USPS document that it is impossible for me to get.

pharpe
Contributor
Contributor

I was involved in an online scam where my paypal account was charged but I received no receipt from the vendor and they provided a fake tracking number.  I reported all of the details and provided copies of my emails to the vendor.  

I on 12/2 I attempted to purchased a computer monitor from an online site and paid using Paypal. After submitting the transaction I never received confirmation or a receipt. I did get an email from Paypal that my account was charged. I submitted a request for a receipt via the website customer service link explaining the issue and asked for a confirmation and receipt for the order. I did not get any reply and sent additional emails to the contact email on the Paypal receipt and got no answers.  On 12/4/2019 there was an update on paypal with a tracking number. USPS tracking only shows the city and zip of the destination but not the full address.   I tracked the package, and when it was supposedly delivered, nothing actually arrived.  I have video evidence there was no delivery.

I contacted the post office and found out that the tracking number was spoofed. It was an real tracking number but for an unrelated package that was going to the same city and zip but not my address.   It was from Albany NY and sent to a comply different name and address. It was also only 1 ounce. (Mine was supposed to be a 27" monitor). 

At this point I filed a claim with paypal with all this info.  Paypal closed the case the next day without even talking to me or the seller.  They just said the item was delivered based on the fake tracking number.  I called and spoke to an Paypal agent and explained all of the detail again.  She said I needed to get an Intranet for from the USPS showing the details of the tracking number and upload that.  When I called USPS I was told that the Intranet for is an internal only document and they do not provide that to the public.

So in a case of clear documented fraud Paypal if requiring a document that it is impossible for me to obtain?  What do I do at this point?

Login to Me Too
120 REPLIES 120

SharisseDiaz
Contributor
Contributor
After nearly a month of back and forth with PayPal and USPS, I called my Capital One to dispute it and it took all of 5 mins. My charge was 48.99, so idk if bigger charges will prove to be more difficult but hope it works for any other victims of this scam.
Login to Me Too

Regtoyou
I’m going through the exact same thing right now. It shows delivered to a city and zip. No official address and it says 1 Oz weight and i purchased a cat tower. Probably weights over 30 lbs.
Login to Me Too

Robnor
Contributor
Contributor
Same thing happened to me with 2 different companies. PayPal is a scammer!!! Intranet form is not given to the public and they are aware of this. We need a class action lawyer ASAP! Why are they getting away with this? It’s not even about the money anymore. It’s about being an ethical service provider. So frustrating!
Login to Me Too

Mkm65
Contributor
Contributor
File a case with the federal trades commission, then notify PayPal you filed it.... they get enough complaints something will be done.
Login to Me Too

Robnor
Contributor
Contributor
Yes. I filed a claim with Better business bureau and the Federal trade commission. What we really need is a law firm willing to take on a class action lawsuit. It’s not even about the money anymore. It’s how they are committing fraud and getting away with it.
Login to Me Too

Sinyarlj52
Contributor
Contributor
I had same thing happen to me. I purchase item on line with PayPal. I got email item was delivered -BUT I did not receive it. I went to the Post Office in my town and they tracked the tracking number to a totally different address on the other side of my town! The postman had stated that he went back to get the package I And the people living at the address said they never saw a package !! So the post office gave me a print out of my tracking number with the wrong address printed on the label. I am currently awaiting the days of hearing from the seller -but the email returned as not working. So now I put it in PayPal hands. It’s totally a scam!
Login to Me Too

Mkm65
Contributor
Contributor
File a claim with the federal trade commission and I agree with others we need to file a class action suite against PayPal allowing these scammers get away with it, PayPal is getting their money they are not losing a thing.
Login to Me Too

red_star0987

And here I was wondering that this scam is a new trick. Though there are many like me who got scammed.. Dang... Innovative Scammers. 

The best part is, I have explained to PayPal that you cannot expect USPS to release someone else's addresses, even though you have a tracking code.

I guess privacy policies don't mean anything to PayPal, and I am quite confident they (PayPal) are aware of it and don't want to lose on its precious commissions from those sales. 

Kudos PayPal. The new scammer's safe heaven. 

Login to Me Too

There is no such form from the post office it does not exist luckily I had a good postmaster that gave me a letter and stamped it stating which address it went to and not mine. PayPal should’ve never made me jump through the hoops I submitted the form intranet Showing the tracking number and address it went to they still said they needed the same form stating that it did not go to my name or address. PayPal also when I called gave me the lecture of their automatic system picks up city and state and ZIP Code so they don’t look no farther. I think that PayPal needs to make the seller provide street address and city and state and zip. As a PayPal customer with a dispute I should’ve never had to jump through this paper hoop. I agree there’s a big scam going on and PayPal probably has something to do with it. I will be more careful not to use PayPal again.
Login to Me Too

Naoki_
Contributor
Contributor

I fell for this scam too. They get you with incredible prices in a website Google gave you as an alternative in their shopping search engine, you go for the minimum to get free shipping, they send a First Class package (which is less than 1LB, impossible to fit your order there) to your city, the website where you ordered it disappears, you file a claim with Paypal and they tell you that you have a valid tracking number. You appeal, Paypal asks you for a form that is impossible to get. The perfect scam.

So much for "buyer protection".

Thanks for your "help" Paypal, I'll take my chances with my credit card company.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.