Jewelry Scam Help

docole725
Contributor
Contributor

A couple of weeks ago I clicked on an ad that came up on my Facebook feed claiming to be Kay Jewelry having a huge sale. My husband and I are renewing our vows in a couple of weeks and we purchased a band for each of us. I used paypal and when I got my email it showed a china receipt!!! I sent an email right that minute explaining I was upset at this scam and I wanted a refund immediately, I got on paypal and sent a complaint on fraud and I was denied any help. I got an email from the "Kay" company 3 days later stating they were sorry but it was shipped already and no refund would be given!!! Today I checked the tracking and it shows the frauds just mailed it 3 days ago, not 7! I am so upset! What can I do???

Login to Me Too
30 REPLIES 30

PayPal_Adam1

Hi, thanks for posting to our Community. I'm sorry to hear that you had trouble with a purchase. If you have yet to receive the item you purchased or the item you purchased is significantly different from what was described, you can file a dispute through PayPal by following the steps listed here: https://www.paypal.com/smarthelp/article/FAQ1344 . If you are unable to resolve your dispute directly with the seller, then it is important that you escalate this dispute to a PayPal claim within 20 days. By escalating this dispute to a claim, you are asking PayPal to investigate the dispute and determine its outcome. If the dispute is not escalated to a claim within 20 days, then it will automatically be closed and cannot be reopened.

Login to Me Too

KeeBoyd
Contributor
Contributor
Omg.. Did You Ever RECEIVE The Jewelry & Was It EXACTLY What You Ordered?
Login to Me Too

KeeBoyd
Contributor
Contributor
Did You Ever RECEIVE The Jewelry & Was it the Jewelry you Ordered?
Login to Me Too

Angelwolfstorm
Contributor
Contributor

I did the same, tried to email them within an hour of ordering email got sent back to me, then I got a shipping email told them I wanted to cancel they wouldn't let me. Contacted paypal they said they agreed to give me a full refund if the item was returned, it costs more to return it! What a bunch of BS! I contacted Paypal and the email that sent my purchase details as soon as I got it and no help whatsoever. I guess I'm out the money.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Angelwolfstorm 

Chinese Web Sites or on Social Media ads easy to spot (once you know the below signs) so buyer beware.

1. No return address on the returns policy. The site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) but they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost often more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number. if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. Rarely company address information.
4. Great pictures of items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.
5. Fake reviews.
6. Google and you can often see previous company names as they change them once enough claims roll in and Paypal stop them using their services and start over.
7. Send fake tracking numbers to win item non receipt of item claims.

In the event of a dispute you choose your seller and not Paypal so you need to bear in mind possible return trackable costs before you go ahead and buy from that seller / country.

Paypal state this >>
IMPORTANT: You may be required to return the item to the seller or other party we specify as part of the settlement of your claim. PayPal Buyer Protection does not entitle you to reimbursement for the return shipping costs that you may incur.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction.
https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/FAQ3544

You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

tamradell
Contributor
Contributor

I'm curious to know if you have received the items you ordered?  Mine are on the way. We shall see.

Login to Me Too

Sidnak
Contributor
Contributor
I’m having the same problem as everyone else with this Kay jewelers scam. Did you receive your order? My tracking number is fake. I put a hold on my mail and it shows a different package being delivered. I think it’s from them but not sure.
Login to Me Too

tamradell
Contributor
Contributor

UPDATE:  I received the items purchased but the quality and/or authenticity is questionable.  They were in a Kay Jewelers box, inside little crack bags!!  I traced the package and every step was covered but there were two address labels on my envelope.  Both had the same information in different fonts and the bottom one had a sender's address.  It came from New Jersey even though the Global Tracker never lists that and USPS didn't have NJ in the mix either.  It left China, went to LAX, then to the Whittier post office and into my mailbox.  I am going to Google Map the NJ address.  I'm also sending an email to the address on my PayPal receipt as soon as I get home from the pawn shop.  It's either going to be "wow, beautiful, thanks!" or "you didn't provide what was advertised, give me my money back!"  Who honestly believes that an $8k ring can be had for $39?  

Login to Me Too

pawli5

I wish I could help or find help as PayPal seems more invested in protecting the scammers than the people being scammed. I have had zero help minus canned responses. This is the second time I have been scammed through a Chinese PayPal vendor who I didn't know wasn't who they advertised themselves to be. The response from PayPal both times was basically (paraphrasing) "oh well - send the item back and you'll get your refund." Has anyone checked to see how much it costs to send something to CHINA??? Also, this latest one gives me a return address written in Chinese which of course I cannot read or translate. Here is the return address: (I kid you not, I had to edit the address before submitting as PayPal would not let me enter the entire address - here is the message: "The message body contains [Chinese language I have no idea what it means], which is not permitted in this community. Please remove this content before sending your post."  I then deleted the Chinese characters and am again denied posting as I have posted a "invalid HTML" which I had not.

Seriously PayPal? UNSATISFACTORY!!

I have been an account holder for over 20 years! I will be searching for a new payment service as they obviously don't care if we are scammed (are they Chinese-owned?)

Login to Me Too

Sidnak
Contributor
Contributor
It’s so frustrating. This is the first time I’ve had it happen. I’m going to refuse the package if it ever comes to avoid the cost of shipping back to them.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.