I was double charged in an Airbnb Reservation

giselam
Contributor
Contributor

Two months ago (sept 24th 2022) I payed a reservation on Airbnb using my Paypal account for almost $1,500 usd. (Stupid me, thought Paypal would be a secure solution as it is a high amount for me) The same day,  I checked my bank app and I noticed they had charged me double, I decided to wait a couple of days since both charges where labeled as “In process” and I supposed one of those Authorization movements had been made, and that one would disappear. 

Days passed and both charges are marked as completed, My CC balance is huge and I know something is wrong, I called Airbnb and they claimed they do not see the double payment in their platform, I contact Paypal Help and they told me to go to the bank to solve the situation.

The bank confirms me that Both payments were processed fully (same amount, same business, same concept) and that the money has already been invoiced to Paypal, so they help me putting a dispute ONLY for the duplicated charge. The dispute works and ONE of the payments is eliminated. However, because of the dispute Paypal reported me as fraud to Airbnb, retained they payment of my reservation, and they cancelled it. To this day Airbnb keeps referring me to Paypal to solve my situation.

I’ve been in contact with Paypal Customer service daily, they are in complete denial of everything, they claimed that only one payment was placed, and even though they have asked me to send them my Credit Card invoice (complete, unaltered) to validate that I was charged double (which I have sent) they always come back with the same answer, that they did not do it (ops!). In the process they have made me go to the bank multiple times to give them codes (which they don’t recognize), closed conversations on me, made me explain the situation from scratch almost daily because they change the person who is working on my case.

It’s been frustrating an exhausting. It’s a lot of money for me the one that Paypal is robbing me. I’ve already scratched this community and seen lots of cases like mine with no answer and no solution. At this point I’m almost certain they won’t give the money back, just wanted to vent and prevent other people from trusting Paypal so blindly like I had for years now. 

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.