I have been scammed and directed to use "friends/family" option. I cant dispute, can i get my money?

Neilas
Contributor
Contributor

It was a digital purchase, and the justification and direction of this scammer was that the "goods/services" option is only for physical orders which you are able to track/get a tracking number for etc. and it could only go through the friends/family option. it was $220, i even tipped $20 due to the engagement i had with that individual. i have their paypal email, the transaction details, our messages on twitter etc. everything from that day and he has had no repercussions as of yet. I am not able to put his email here as it is not permitted, and his twitter handle is actually pretending to be another seller, who is legit and he is not. Ive attempted to report him on multiple occasions and dispute but nothing has come out of it. ive heard that it is possible to charge back through my actual bank provider? but this will turn into a negative balance on paypal. is this my only option and how would one go through with it? is there no way to expose this scammer and prevent future individuals from having fraud committed against them?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

megancorine
This just happened to me for $600 and PayPal is unwilling to do anything about it. I was scammed and they know it. Spent my time crying afterwards bc I’m using this money for nursing school.
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Neilas 

There’s no PayPal buyer protection on friends and family payments, sorry. You can call customer service to give them the email address but you won’t be told what happens to the other party. 

All is not lost though, you paid tuition for a lesson learned…not to use friends and family for purchases. You can only control/save yourself. 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.