Got scammed on ebay – money gone?

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

Won item (Sony cassette player, 464EUR) on ebay, seller shipped it pretty quick, after receiving it and inspecting, it does look just like on photos, item was packaged decently and shipped trought reputable shipping company, however item is completely dead and doesn't work at all, while it was advertised as "in perfect working condition". Looked up sellers reviews and it seems i'm not the only one who received faulty item, I should've checked his reviews before I paid, but the item was in a good shape, so I didn't thought anything. Opened a case after few days since I received it (I to find cassetes for testing), provided photo, video proofs, currently Paypal is waiting for sellers response till 9th, but obviously, he is not responding and not planning to. If seller send money to a different account or made a withdrawal before I opened a case it's over? Why Paypal needs 10 days for seller to respond? Is my money gone and I left with completely useless item? Thanks

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Anonymous_User 

Item normally has to be significantly not as described to win a claim, so to be honest if you bought a cassette player and received one then you 'may' lose as paypal normally don't get involved in quality issues.

BUT if you do win then again 'normally' paypal request that you return the item back to the seller first (trackable to prove delivery) before issuing a refund.

That is the 'norm' but if the seller does not respond 'at all' and you win the claim then paypal may NOT request the return of goods first.

Lastly again only if you win the claim, if the seller refuses to refund then paypal would issue you with a refund under their buyer protection policy and then chase the seller to pay them back again.

May have been better to have filed an Ebay dispute (within 30 days of paying) as their terms and conditions differ.   

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
to be honest if you bought a cassette player and received one then you 'may' lose as paypal normally don't get involved in quality issues.

I did received it and it does look exactly as on ebay photos, however item is not working, it's dead and i'm not sure if it's fixable, since it's an old device from 80's. If I sell an iPhone and describe it as "in perfect working condition", but phone just doesn't turn on, will buyer not receive refund? Scratches, broken cable or box is one, but completely dead item is another story, or I hope so at least. I provided video proof of item being broken, not sure what more I can do.

BUT if you do win then again 'normally' paypal request that you return the item back to the seller first (trackable to prove delivery) before issuing a refund.

I would gladly return item, but seller is not responding at all, he probably already took the money off paypal.

May have been better to have filed an Ebay dispute (within 30 days of paying) as their terms and conditions differ.

I paid on Oct 22 and filled the case on Oct 30. I filled ebay one, then opened on paypal thinking it will be better, but ebay dispute automatically was closed. So maybe I made a (expensive) mistake here.

Thanks for the answers

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.