Got scammed 500 euros. received refund 1 euro. case closed by PayPal.

tnhk
Contributor
Contributor

scammer scammed me on eBay Kleinanzeigen. On May 29th 2023, this person showed me a camera on eBay, we negotiated and settled on a 500 euros price for the camera. Within 6 hours of me sending the money to this person via PayPal he basically said that he scammed me and that I have lost the 500 euros with no chance of getting the money back on eBay. As soon as this happened, I opened a dispute in PayPal regarding this. Once the dispute was opened, on June 2nd, instead of 500 euros that I sent this person via PayPal, this person sent me 1 euro as refund in PayPal. I was hopeful that I would receive rest 499 euros as feedback soon. But this was not the case. Today I got informed by PayPal that the dispute has been closed. I need to get my 499 euros back. Can someone please advice me on what I need to do.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@tnhk 

Then APPEAL stating what happened and ask paypal to re-open the dispute.

Contact options for each countries Paypal customer services are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages.

1. Paypal phones (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, (during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out).
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@tnhk 

The dispute stage is for negotiations between you and the seller.

So if he only refunded 1 euro then did you escalate the dispute to a claim for paypal to be involved?

You had up to 2o days to escalate to a claim before it auto closed as it would have timed out, so did you escalate or not?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

tnhk
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for helping me out.

Yes, I did escalate on june 6th as the option to escalate appeared only on June 6th. After 10 days june 16th, PayPal closed the case in my favor. Saying I was refunded.

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@tnhk 

Then APPEAL stating what happened and ask paypal to re-open the dispute.

Contact options for each countries Paypal customer services are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages.

1. Paypal phones (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, (during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out).
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

tnhk
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a lott for your advice. Will certainly follow them and shall update.

Login to Me Too

tnhk
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your advices. I contacted PayPal as per your advice and they reopened the dispute again. Thankfully this time it was really closed in my favor.

Thank you again 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.