Fraudulent charge from Xoom

mjathas
New Community Member

Hi everyone,

Tonight, my wife and I received a text message from our bank (Chase) alerting us to a potential fraudulent charge on our checking account from a company called Xoom for nearly $700.  Upon Googling this company, it appears that they are some sort of wire transfer service affiliated with PayPal.  While we do use PayPal for eBay and various other online purchases, neither one of us have ever heard of this Xoom company and this charge certainly was not from either of us.  The charge was on my wife's debit card, which is the one that we have attached to our PayPal account.  We just got off the phone with our bank and they did mark the charge as fraudulent and closed out my wife's card and will mail her a new one, but this has us very concerned.  Has anyone else ever experienced fraudulent withdrawals from this company?  Did they somehow get our info through our PayPal account?  We have been using PayPal for nearly 20 years and nothing like this has ever happened before, but now we worry that it may not be all that secure.  This was a very large withdrawal they made from our account and now we have to wait possibly several days to get it back as Chase has to investigate it.  VERY aggravating.   

Login to Me Too
21 REPLIES 21

jeanu2010
Contributor
Contributor

Although I had never heard of Xoom before today, a hacker apparently  got into my Paypal account, created a Xoom account and made 2 unauthorized payments of $654.99 and $554.99. The hacker then made an unauthorized transfer of $500 from my linked bank account to Paypal. Since the transfer won't post for a couple more days, I can probably ask the bank to cancel the transaction, but other than changing my password, I'm not sure how to protect myself from Xoom. Any suggestions?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @mjathas and @jeanu2010,

I'm very sorry to hear of unauthorized activity happening with your PayPal account. It sounds like someone had access to your PayPal account password. This can happen a number of different ways. Some examples are: if you've clicked any links in a phishing email and logged in on a fake site, or if you have keylogger malware on your computer, or if your email and password combination is also used on another website that was compromised.

Please log in to your PayPal account and change your password and security questions as soon as possible. You'll also probably want to run a virus scan on your computer, and change any passwords on sites where you used the same password as you did on your PayPal account. Make sure to pick unique passwords for each site.

To report the unauthorized account creation to Xoom, please contact them at the information in this article.

I hope this is resolved quickly!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

ritagroves
Contributor
Contributor

I had this to happen to me yesterday 10/01.  They did multiple transfer of $51.99 from my bank account with my card number, then when I saw the emails I immediately called the bank and they cancelled.  Not even thinking it would be from paypal I went on about my day to notice later they had indeed charges by credit card that I have on file with paypal multiple times as well.  I have never been so mad in my life.  I  have contacted Xoom only to tell me while they investigate they can't give me any information on my account, I mean please if its mine, although I had never heard of Xoom nor made an account.  So now I have messaged Paypal but have yet to hear back from them.  Bank says it will be 3-5 business days before I hear from my dispute.  Has anyone else gotten their money back?

Login to Me Too

Rachelleahormel
Contributor
Contributor
Hi I was hoping you’d like to join a class action lawsuit . It only takes 7 people and I am also letting people on Reddit know. This happened to me and my dad just died so there is plenty to drain. . I know we can’t share our info but my fb is definitely not my name above minus the Lea. Feel free to contact
Login to Me Too

dawntillman71
New Community Member

Hi...I just had the identical experience in the amount of $1,030 from my checking account.  I worked it through with my bank because Xoom offered no immediate help.  It was very frustrating and now I have to wait for a new debit card.  Paypal should disconnect its business relationship with Xoom.  

Login to Me Too

Fraudprobs81
New Community Member
Like all others, I had never heard of Xoom before $5000 in fraudulent charges started popping up on my debit card the last few days in August. I’ve used paypal for years without issue and have considered it a safe way to make online purchases, now I’m not so sure. Clearly Xoom is a service with huge issues easily mined by bad actors. Many companies are failing to recognize data breaches due to Coronavirus complications. I guess PayPal is no different. I’ve changed my account info but I’m not so sure I can trust PayPal the way I once did.
Login to Me Too

Rachelleahormel
Contributor
Contributor
Hi so! I’ve been looking for others who think this is unfair and I know we can’t give out our info but I just realized my username is my name and if you took the word Lea out , it would be my Facebook name. I’ve got a list of names of people who would like to join a class action regarding this. Please feel free to contact me .
Login to Me Too

Patty64
Contributor
Contributor
Hi- Same story here. I never heard of Xoom until I discovered 5 charges to my checking account totaling about $450 dollars. I immediately contacted my bank and had my card cancelled. Very inconvenient since it happens to be tied to several other services such as Amazon and Apple Pay. Now everything is frozen whilst I am waiting for a new card and I will have to go through and update everything with new info once I receive the new card. I thought PayPal was supposed to be a safe way to pay third parties and avoid just this sort of problem. Quite disappointing. 😒😒
Login to Me Too

ritagroves
Contributor
Contributor

Were you able to get your money refunded?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.