Account limited due to hacking, unable to remove limitation since I can't add my own bank account

hobotowne
New Community Member

So last month someone hacked into my account, added their bank account, removed the money that was already in the account and then (seemingly?) scammed someone out of money. This resulted in my account being limited and the hacker abandoning it after they weren't able to receive the money they scammed. I eventually discovered what had happened, added 2FA and changed passwords etc, and the resulting case was decided in my favour since the scam was the result of hacking. However, the account is still limited.

To remove the limitation, I was asked to provide information confirming my identity which was fine, but Paypal won't remove the limitations unless I confirm a bank account. However, the only bank account associated with this Paypal belongs to the scammer. I'm unable to add a new one or even remove the scammer's bank account due to the limitations. I've contacted Paypal via email and the message centre 4-5 times now to explain the issue and every time the only answer I get is "go to resolutions and provide information", which I literally can't do due to the bank account not belonging to me. What are my options? Is my account going to be permanently limited because there's no way to fix anything after you get hacked even if you regain access to your account? Is there a way to talk to Paypal without getting useless automated replies?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_paula

Hi @hobotowne

I am sorry to hear of the experience you have had and that you had to go through your account being accessed. When your account was reviewed for unauthorised activity they should have removed all of the unauthorised information that was added. I know you have tried contacting us to get this resolved but may I recommend you try another contact option such as calling us or our one of our social media channels for more help with this. They should be able to resolve it for you. 

You can contact us via the "help and contact" link on your PayPal account which will give you the option to call us or contact us via our chat bot. You can also contact us via our social media channels on Twitter and Facebook

Please do come back and let us know how you get on as it may help other members, 

Paula 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.