PayPal REST /payments API

KevinTParker
Contributor
Contributor

What does this mean?

Important: The use of the PayPal REST /payments APIs to accept credit card payments is restricted. 

It is not clear. What does restricted mean exactly. Restricted from who? No longer available to new merchants? i have to re-write a bunch of custom code using braintree? We already have a PayPal account using PayPal HERE. Why another service?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

MTS_Justin
Hi,

Direct card payments via REST API is only available if you have a UK PayPal account which has been enabled for payments pro.

The alternatives (non-REST) are either direct card payments via our classic API (direct payment), Braintree Direct or Payflow Pro.

Payflow Pro doesn't convert your account over to PayPal Manager. You use PayPal Manager in conjunction with your PayPal account. If you already have PayPal Here, it would continue to function and you can still log into your PayPal account.

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

MTS_Justin
Hi @KevinTParker

REST direct card payments are available only to customers located within the United Kingdom who have a payments pro account.

Login to Me Too

KevinTParker
Contributor
Contributor

I am not sure what PayPal is doing here. I see that they are pushing Payflow Pro or Braintree. Neither option seems to be viable given how easy the Rest API was to implement. 

Braintree wants their own UI or Drop In. Why can everything be server side? and Payflow Pro want to conver my PayPal account over to manager.paypal.com. I need to keep using that account for PayPal HERE.

What are my options?!

Login to Me Too
Solved

MTS_Justin
Hi,

Direct card payments via REST API is only available if you have a UK PayPal account which has been enabled for payments pro.

The alternatives (non-REST) are either direct card payments via our classic API (direct payment), Braintree Direct or Payflow Pro.

Payflow Pro doesn't convert your account over to PayPal Manager. You use PayPal Manager in conjunction with your PayPal account. If you already have PayPal Here, it would continue to function and you can still log into your PayPal account.

Login to Me Too

iamchaitanya
New Community Member

What about when I store the card as token and then from that card token i do the payment. In that this payment API is going to work. Because right now in my sandbox account everything is working. But on live account it show me unauthorized payment. 

Is this problem because of restricted. or I have to enable future payment API and payout API for this??

Login to Me Too

MTS_Justin
Hello,

In a sandbox account, the accounts are enabled or can be enabled for pretty much any type of payment so people can easily test different products / services, however this does not necessarily mean that if a product is available within sandbox environment, that it will also be available once you go live.

Any type of direct card payment is country limited. With our classic API it's available in select countries (https://developer.paypal.com/docs/classic/howto_product_matrix/), but with the REST API, it's only available in the UK.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.