PayPal IPN for solved disputes with a different refund amount offered by the seller

cawecoy
Contributor
Contributor

I am integrating PayPal with my site and testing in sandbox.

When the buyer opens a dispute in PayPal Resolution Center to requests a refund, then we receive an IPN with payment_status = Reversed (the refund amount requested by the buyer is removed from the seller's account balance).

Then if the seller agrees to send the full refund, closing the case, then we receive an IPN with payment_status = Canceled_Reversal (the refund amount requested by the buyer is returned to the seller's account balance) and another IPN with payment_status = Refunded (the refund amount requested by the buyer is removed from the seller's account balance and finally returned to the buyer's account balance).

This is the IPNs' payment_status sequence for such case: Reversed > Canceled_Reversal > Refunded

However, the issue occurs when the seller offers a different refund amount to the buyer, who agrees with it, getting the offered amount back and closing the case.

This is the IPNs' payment_status sequence for such case: Reversed > Refunded

It seems to me that the IPN with payment_status = Canceled_Reversal is missing. I need it for financial purposes.

What is wrong? Am I misunderstanding anything?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

MTS_Jennifer

Hello,

Thank you for posting to the PayPal Sandbox Community.

I tested on the Sandbox IPN simulator that the Cancelled_Reversal is one of the IPNs that can be sent as a simulation.

MTS_Jennifer_0-1584377742998.png

Typically you would only see payment_status of Cancelled_Reversal generated if the reversal was cancelled. You can test this in the IPN simulator.

Thank you,

Jennifer

PayPal

Login to Me Too

cawecoy
Contributor
Contributor

It is working as simulation.

PayPal Sandbox is not working... it is not sending me the Cancelled_Reversal IPN for the case I described.

For instance:

1. buyer pays $10 for an order (I receive the Completed IPN)

2. buyer opens a dispute to get a full refund of $10 (I receive the Reversed IPN)

3. seller sends an offers to refund a partial value of $8 and buyer accpets it (I expect to receive the Cancelled_Reversal IPN and then the Refunded IPN, but I only receive the Reversed IPN)

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.