How do I refund a non-paypal account holder who used paypal to buy with ?

Alpine
Contributor
Contributor

Hi !

My customer has paid through paypal but does not have a paypal account. He asked to be paid by CHECK for his refund. Is this the best and most convienient way for him which is why he asked ?(note you can make payments 3 a year without a paypal account so ebays main forum tell me)

Also I cannot claim back my paypal and ebay fees if I do not use paypal to issue the refund I assume.

Is it best to send a refund to him with paypal to his email and tell him not to claim it- i.e. not to set up an account for himself to be able to claim his money back.

Will it go direct to his card which he must of paid with without him having a paypal account.  Would this enable me to get back me fees from ebay and paypal if I can electronically refund him ?

At the end of the day it does not really matter as its only a small amount to lose out with. If there is an easy way to solve this ?

Can anyone help. I often come here if the ebay forum cannot give an answer.

Thanks all.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

PayPal_david

Hi Alpine,

If you have received a payment from a buyer who doesn't have a PayPal account, I would be nearly sure that they would have used a credit/debit card to fund their purchase. If this was the case and you refund the payment, it would go back to the original card that they used to fund the purchase.

I don't know exactly why you have been advised that members can only make three payments a year without having a PayPal account. As far as I know, there is no limit to how many payments can be sent without having a PayPal account.

One thing that I can be certain about is that a customer can't send a payment from a bank account without having a PayPal account as they can't verify a bank account and then send a direct debit bank funded payment.

If you were to refund this payment back to your buyer through your PayPal account, you are correct in saying that all of the PayPal fee's would be refunded back to your account. I don't think it would be possible for us to refund the payment fee's if you were to refund the payment back to your buyer using a cheque.

I hope this information helps,

David.

Login to Me Too

Alpine
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks much appreciated. The buyer did not realise it could go back onto there card without a paypal account. For some reason this confused me temporarily too. Thanks for your help and your response.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.