Claim back on cancelled Monarch, flights only.

davydoggers
Contributor
Contributor

I have read several options for trying to claim a refund for Monarch flights being cancelled and according to Martin Lewis this should be a strong possibility with a Visa card under'charge back' and also through PayPal if you claim within 180 days. Now somwhere along the line this has been misunderstood because what I am getting back is that if I booked in January and Santander paid my PayPal, who subsequently paid Monarch, then I appear to be 'stuffed' and cannot claim anything. How is this possible in this day and age and can anyone offer some real guidelines, please? I have used PayPal through my visa Debit card linked to PayPal. Any help would bve re-assuring, please.

Login to Me Too
26 REPLIES 26

micnur
Contributor
Contributor

@Carocat

Hi Carocat, well done in getting a refund. 

I am in the same situation as you, paid for my two flights on 2 Dec 2016 and 8 Dec 2016, paypal saying it's outside 180 days so they can't do anything, my bank as well as it was via direct debit.

Would you please be able to help us and post a screenshot of your paypal refund? We could use it then as a proof that PayPal is treating it's customers unfairly. Please hide all your sensitive details when doing so, you can use imgur in example.

Thank you kindly

Michael

Login to Me Too

bowesles
Contributor
Contributor
If you booked before 16/12/16 you're covered by ATOL, you should have got an ATOL certificate as part of the booking confirmation.
Login to Me Too

Prawnpot
Contributor
Contributor

I was unfortunate enough to have booked flights to Spain with Monarch in April of this year. I paid for the tickets using Paypal and therefore expected the failure of the airline to provide flights to be covered by Paypal`s protection as the transaction was within the 180 day deadline. I telephoned Paypal to register a dispute. They immediately elevated my dispute to a "Claim". Three days later I received the entire payment into my Paypal account. I could ask for no more. Full marks to Paypal for their rapid response and my recovery of the ticket costs.

Login to Me Too

davido63
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem having booked in Jan, and therefore open a resolution from the payment . initially they refused myclaim but they came back to me to say had considerd and as a gesture of goodwill would refund the payment which they did. well done Paypal

@davydoggers wrote:

I have read several options for trying to claim a refund for Monarch flights being cancelled and according to Martin Lewis this should be a strong possibility with a Visa card under'charge back' and also through PayPal if you claim within 180 days. Now somwhere along the line this has been misunderstood because what I am getting back is that if I booked in January and Santander paid my PayPal, who subsequently paid Monarch, then I appear to be 'stuffed' and cannot claim anything. How is this possible in this day and age and can anyone offer some real guidelines, please? I have used PayPal through my visa Debit card linked to PayPal. Any help would bve re-assuring, please.

Login to Me Too

micnur
Contributor
Contributor

@davido63

Hi David, well done in getting a refund. 

I am in the same situation as you, paid for my two flights on 2 Dec 2016 and 8 Dec 2016, paypal saying it's outside 180 days so they can't do anything, my bank as well as it was via direct debit.

Would you please be able to help us and post a screenshot of your paypal refund? We could use it then as a proof that PayPal is treating it's customers unfairly. Please hide all your sensitive details when doing so, you can use imgur in example.

Thank you kindly

Michael

Login to Me Too

philofHH
Contributor
Contributor

I have tried to open a claim but the resolution centre tells me there is already a claim open for that transaction.

Tried a message to cusotmer services but given an automated reply.

Is this just me

Login to Me Too

davydoggers
Contributor
Contributor

No it's not just you-- I have had difficulty trying to resolve this issue and I notice that a presidence has already been set with at least 2 other people having paid  Monarch with Pay Pal outside of the 180 days and Pay Pal have refunded them. I cannot re-submit a claim because the system won't allow you to. Best bet, I guess, is to raise a complaint or try to ring them after 7pm and be prepaired to wait a long time. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

I hope this helps other people who are trying to resolve this problem under the 'buyer protection'.

Login to Me Too

philofHH
Contributor
Contributor
I have spoken to PayPal (SHELLY) Super service Case opened and promised money back in maximum of 30 days. Apparently their system has a glitch due to the number of claims being made against monarch.
Login to Me Too

AnaCarva

Yes...i just had the same thing when i tried to start a disput for the same reason (monarch flights cancelled).

Did you have any other help from the contact center?

Login to Me Too

bowesles
Contributor
Contributor

I have been in contact with PayPal, the first person I spoke to said they categorically could not help as I purchased the tickets more than 180 days ago, when I pointed out how unreasonable that was she went away to speak to somebody else, however when she came back on the line she repeated that PayPal's policy was not to allow claims greater than 180 days and suggested that I submit a chargeback claim. 

At that point I asked to speak to a manager, I got put through to Mark at Claims and Disputes in Newcastle who confirmed that the case could not be enabled as it was greater than 180 days, he said that all logged disputes would be considered after they had met with the Administrators. I asked if those who had purchased less than 180 days ago would be automatically processed, he confirmed they would, I pointed out how unreasonable that was and that I had read that in the exceptional circumstances PayPal where waiving the restriction, he just reiterated that there were no guarantees and all purchases would be considered when they spoke to the Administrators.

This policy is a disgrace, it consider the circumtances, these are not goods we ordered and not bothered to dispute.

I have read in the press that PayPal are waiving this restriction, this is patently not the case, we need to get this message out there and shame them into action. Who would use PayPal if they knew they were not covered !

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.