Refund Marked as "Complete" in my paypal history

Kamano
New Community Member

I was given a gift of some money by a friend earlier this month for something trivial, and I didn't need or expect the money from him. I chose to refund the money, and my paypal balance quickly reflected the refund by taking the money out of my account, and it says the refund is Complete. However my friend says that he has definitely not received the money in his account. He originally gave me the money via his checking account, and according to the help questions on the site, the refund should have gone back to his paypal balance, which has not happened, and he has no record of the refund being pending or anything of the sort on his end.

What happened? How is it that a refund that should have been paypal to paypal seems to have gotten lost here? I'm a bit irritated, because this is making me think that simply sending him a gift back of the same amount would have accomplished exactly the same thing, but faster / without this weirdness.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Lilly
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello Kamano,

Welcome!

I would see if you could have your friend double check in their history, and click the details of the original transaction. 

Sometimes customers pay using their debit card, so the funds would appear to be debited from the bank.  However, when a refund is issued the funds can credit straight back to the debit card. 

Hope this helps,

Lilly

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.