How can I get my refund?

heying
Contributor
Contributor

Yesterday a seller promised to refund my money and I received an email called"Your PayPal payment has been refunded" and a receipt number was given in the email. But yesterday I had not opened my PayPal account and my bank account has not received the refund. Where is my refund? How can I get it???

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

jclark76
Contributor
Contributor

Good luck because I've been waiting for my refund for almost a month and it still hasn't shown up in my bank account, and my paypal account says refunded... I have no idea where my refund is and will probably never see my money

Login to Me Too

heying
Contributor
Contributor

OH MY GOD! How could this be!  How could ebay, the so-called biggest online marketplace , do such a thing!  I find that there is no way to complain and ebay staff can totally disregard our complaints. And their email which tells you refund has been returned is so misleading and on their website a detailed refund procedure instruction is hardly found. I find many buyers post to ask for refund and many of them do not know how to get refund as well.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Everyone,

When a payment is refunded, the funds will go to one of two places depending on how you originally paid:

1)  If you paid with a credit card, the funds are sent back to the card.  Your card issuer determines how long they take before they post it against your credit balance.

2)  If you paid with your PayPal balance or a bank account, the money goes back into your PayPal balance.  From there, you have the option of using it for other payments or withdrawing it back to your bank.  It is not automatically sent back.  If you do want to, it can be done for free by using the "Withdraw" tab.  This takes about three to four business days.

To check the status of your refund, log in to your account and go to the History tab.  Click on the details for the original purchase that was refunded to see what you paid for.

If it was supposed to go to your balance when refunded, rather than a card, click on the "All Activity (with balance)" option while viewing your History and track down the funds.  In most cases, they wind having been used for another purchase because they weren't withdrawn.  Smiley Happy

Hope this helps,

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

heying
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Adrian,

Thank you for your reply. I paid with my debit card, not PayPal account and credit card. Will the refund be sent back to my debit card? Because when I made the payment, I had not opened a PayPal account. I opened it latter. So I think the refund won't be sent to my PayPal account. Is that right?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi heying,

With a debit card, it could happen either way, depending on the network used for the transaction. To know for sure what happened with your transaction, go to your History page. You can choose All activity (with balance) the way that Adrian suggested - this is a chronological view. I find this one to be helpful because you can see the impact on the balance with every purchase, sale, refund, or transfer of any kind.

Or if you want to see the transactions grouped together with all the other stuff that is associated, look at the regular All activity view and search back to the original date of the payment. Click the little plus sign next to the transaction and the whole story will be there, connected to the same transaction. If a refund went back to the card, it will be apparent right there.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.