pay later charged me full amount.

FFlo1
Contributor
Contributor

I click on Pay later, but it charged me the full amount. I did some research if that was normal and apparently it is. They charge you the full amount and then refund the amount in 72 hours. It’s been 72 hours and the payment is not pending anymore it went through as the full amount. What do I do?

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@FFlo1 

How is my application for Pay in 4 assessed? 

Our decisioning process is automated and we assess your financial position, the information you provided within your application, and information about your usage and history with PayPal to decide whether Pay in 4 is suitable for you at this time. We may also use external bureau data to assess your application.

My Pay in 4 application has been declined. Why?
If your application gets declined, you can still use PayPal to check out securely with other payment methods in your wallet. We will send you an email explaining why your application didn't go through.

Why could I use Pay Later before but can’t with the same merchant now?
Pay Later eligibility will vary by merchant and individual shopping experience. The Pay Later checkout options will be displayed if the option is available for the specific merchant as well as the transaction amount and type. Keep in mind, not all goods and services are eligible. If for some reason the items in your cart are not eligible for Pay Later, the offer will not be available. Eligibility is also based on your state of residence, so, for example, you may be eligible for one Pay Later product, but not another.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

FFlo1
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you for the info, but you didn’t give me the solution to my problem. I prequalified for the Pay later. I chose do split the payment in 4, but for some reason it charged me the full amount without any warning. I even got an email saying I prequalified. Does that mean nothing? I just get randomly choose by the system Weather I get to use the feature or not. Is there a way to fix my problem? All I want is to do the 4 payments like I chose to do.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@FFlo1 

If you were eligible and you qualified then query it with customer services?

Contact options for each countries Paypal customer services are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages.

1. Paypal phones (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, (during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out).
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a private direct message via Social Media on Facebook, Twitter/X, or Instagram pages.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Vvexxed11
what happened?
Login to Me Too

SteelersPittFan
Contributor
Contributor

Just because you were "prequalified" that does not guarantee you will be approved for Pay in 4 once you do the full application.

I'm assuming what happened was it showed you that you were prequalified for the Pay in 4 but you ended up getting denied once you actually finished the application.

I'm going to also assume you did not realize your were denied and continued to go through with purchasing your item. You chose your method of payment and ordered it and that's why you were charged for the full amount.

Pay Later plans specifically state in the PayPal descriptions that getting prequalified DOES NOT GUARANTEE you will automatically be approved. 

Also FYI it is NOT NORMAL for PayPal Pay Later plans to charge the full amount and then release most of it in 72 hours. I use Pay in 4 all the time and only the first of 4 payments gets charged right away. I have never had the full amount charged when I get approved. And I'm using Pay Monthly now too and it doesn't take the first payment for a month after the approval. I have 2 Pay Monthly's going on and i will have to pay every month for 6 months. What's great about Pay Monthly is it waits a whole month before the first payment is charged. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.