Pairing the card reader (UK)

PayPal_Siobhán

Pairing the card reader

To pair your PayPal Here card reader with your mobile device, follow these steps:

1. Go to your mobile device Settings and turn on Bluetooth. You’ll see a list of available Bluetooth devices.
  2. Turn on the card reader. A green light will blink followed by the Bluetooth light. This process may take a few seconds. If the card reader is on, but all the lights are off, press any key to wake it up.
  3. Select the card reader from the list of available Bluetooth devices. Your card reader will be titled ‘PayPal + the last 3 digits of the serial number on the top of your card reader’. From now on, your card reader will auto-connect to the app whenever you turn it on.

Bluetooth not picking up card reader?

1. Hold down the SYNC button until the Bluetooth light is blinking quickly
  2. Make sure the reader is charged by connecting the USB cable
  3. Make sure that no other phone(s)/tablet(s) are already connected to your PayPal Here reader. If so, forget the PayPal Here reader from the Bluetooth settings on the device that you were previously connected to and then retry syncing to the new device. 
  4. If still not connecting, try resetting your PayPal Here reader. Here is how to reset the reader https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Chip-and-Pin-Card-Reader/Card-Reader-Factory-Reset/m-p/854215#U8...
  5. After the factory reset, if your PayPal Here reader still does not connect (i.e if there is a flashing red and green triangle or the Bluetooth light does not flash) please call our customer service team who will be able to help.

Go to https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/how-to-use-p​aypal-here#welcome for more information

Login to Me Too
16 REPLIES 16

Touchingsmyrna
New Community Member

My card reader has been in a cupboard for several months. It now won't pair. I have contacted the help centre and their response is that this error can't be repaired and it is outside the warranty period so hard luck. I am shocked that having sold me this device, and it having failed, absolutely no attempt was made to fix or replace.

Avoid is my avice, buy a better quality product from a better company.

Login to Me Too

Aquarese112
Contributor
Contributor
Just add a new cards and see is that works
Login to Me Too

AndyDarroch
Contributor
Contributor

My card reader (956) wouldn't connect to my Samsung s6 when I went to take a card payment from a customer. Took it home to try with network and still no luck.

unpaired and paired again and it came up ready to go.

However, next time I used it the same thing happened again.

I now find that I have to go through this procedure every time, which causes delays and irritates customers. (I run a couple of cabs)

My phone is also paired with handsfree in my 3 cars (one has a Pioneer dab radio that I have to tell the Samsung to connect with, in the other two cars it connects without prompting) and I am unsure whether there may be a generic incompatibility with the reader and Samsung S6 or whether there may be a generic fault in the s6 which stops automatic connection in some instances.

Can you shed any light on this situation?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhán

Hi AndyDarroch,

Apologies for the delay. Are you still experiencing issues pairing the reader? Have you tried to complete a full factory re-set or ran any updates with the reader recently? 

Siobhan

Login to Me Too

BronwenMackay
Contributor
Contributor

I am curious to understand why, after successful pairing, the pairing should continuously fail after inactivity for a short period?  Only the pairing can take ages, and that loses us sales due to the fact that it happens repeatedly during every day of use, several times.

The device was purchased in September 2017, was paired with an iPad, and has been doing this since before Christmas.  

Please advise.

Login to Me Too

Kimhoung
Contributor
Contributor
Card number
Login to Me Too

atketki3
Contributor
Contributor

Great idea

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.