Refund to Closed Account/Card

bw16
Contributor
Contributor

I'm curious. I was refunded on March 14th 2019 for something I paid in November 2018.

However, as the title suggests, I had closed that account. I'm a UK resident that was studying in the US until January. At that point, I returned and cancelled my Chase debit card/account that has been used on this Paypal account.

Then, last week, I was refunded the money through Paypal (it was for an application I decided against and therefore they returned it to me).

Paypal states that if a refund to a closed debit or credit card happens, it would be eventually applied to the account. If that happens, that's great. However, I am not quite sure what is going on. I tried called Chase and they just keep telling me the account is closed and wouldn't be able to receive funds, yet Paypal won't let me take this to a resolution and it says I should contact my bank. I know the account has been closed and that this refund came after the closure.

If anyone has any experience with this, I would be forever grateful. All-in-all, I am still waiting for that "up to 30 days to be applied to your account". I can be patient, but I am just trying to make sure the right thing will happen. The transaction already says completed on my summary, yet it's a closed account. Help a poor fellow out please 🙂

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bw16 

If the refund is declined by your account card and can't process back as the account is closed then it 'should' bounce back to your paypal account balance AS LONG AS ITS THE SAME PAYPAL ACCOUNT USED.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bw16 

If the refund is declined by your account card and can't process back as the account is closed then it 'should' bounce back to your paypal account balance AS LONG AS ITS THE SAME PAYPAL ACCOUNT USED.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

bw16
Contributor
Contributor

Does that mean I have to wait up to 30 days for this all to be processed?

It's been over a week and the paypal money should have already attempted to be returned to my (now closed) chase account.

It would suck if the bank actually received the money and lied to me, even though the account was already closed. To me it was a significant amount of money and now I'm worried. Plus, there's nowhere to contact paypal with all this.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bw16 

Click on the words "Help / Contact" at the bottom of paypals pages and use the phone option in the blue band at the top OR very bottom of page dependent on what country you are in. Scroll down past the list of help questions and click on 'Call us' bottom of that page. Log in and get the code.
Freephone from a UK landline or UK mobile number.

OR

have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their facebook or twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUK and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Lisaroom
Contributor
Contributor

Hey! I have a simular situation, did the money arrive in your balance in the end? I'm still in the second week after the refund.

Login to Me Too

Inthasticks2019
Contributor
Contributor
Tha is for this but PayPal continues to say CALL CARD COMPANY. Which would result in a NEW CREDIT CARD ACCT. PAYPAL IS VERY VERY RUDE AND OBVIOUSLY EASY FOR HACKERS TO STEAL FROM HARD WORKING PEOPLE.
Login to Me Too

gokux12
Contributor
Contributor
Hey did this ever get sorted I’m experiencing a similar issue
Login to Me Too

Inthasticks2019
Contributor
Contributor
No. The money was however TRANSFERRED....According to the messages I got "Refund has been process to account ending in...... NO ACCOUNT of mine.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.