Cancel a payment if it is not “pending”

Petra36
Contributor
Contributor

Is it possible to cancel a payment if it is not “pending”. I tried to cancel the order a few hours after paying.  I sent the email asking to cancel. It appears that the seller refuses to cancel the order although he is not saying anything about. 

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Petra36 

You must to open either an Item Not Received dispute or a Significantly Not As Described dispute by locating the transaction in your account activity, clicking it and then click "report a problem" (you may be told to wait 7 days before opening a dispute if it has been less than 7 days from date of payment). Whatever you do, do not file as Unauthorized Payment because your payment was made with permission by you, not by an unknown third party. Otherwise, PayPal will deny your claim saying there was no unauthorized activity and you won't be able to open another claim. 

Then within the first 20 days of the dispute phase, start a dialog with the seller. Escalate to a PayPal claim within the 20 days to ask PayPal to step in and help if the seller does not respond.

I'd start with an Item Not Received dispute. If they didn't respond to your cancel request, perhaps they will fail to respond to the dispute and you can escalate to PayPal to step in and if the seller doesn't respond to PayPal, then PayPal could rule in your favor. Should the seller respond with a tracking number before or after escalation, you may lose the dispute and have to accept delivery of item. This is where it gets problematic. Buyer's remorse reasons for return (don't fit, don't like, changed mind, as described but not as expected, saw it someplace else for cheaper, etc) are not covered by purchase protection and is not considered as Significantly Not As Described circumstances.

Now if you paid with a credit card, perhaps consider going the credit card dispute route instead where the dispute terms are broader than PayPal's.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.