this isn't a question

rubrtoe
Contributor
Contributor

this is a not a question it is a statement of fact about how unethical and **bleep** up paypal is. My  24 year old daughter daughter died unexpectedly in Minnesota where she live. being tapped and unemployed all i had for going up there and dealing with everything was a credit card and a promise to help from her grandfather. so when I got to boxing all of her belongings and shipping them back, the most economical way would have been Fedex and repulling ebay labels and changing the sizes and weights, actually the only way because Shipsaver site I trying to use on a friday can't be reached and by phone and they put a $150 limit per day on labels. Furthermore  and the Fedex site was **bleep** up beyond all recognition and I couldn't sign on and I needed to get the items shipped before the funeral, after which I had a booked, non-refundable flight back home. Fedex would have been cheaper on Ebay for this but I found I could cannot pull a fedex label having changed my ebay shipping "from" address to where I was at. because fedex labels are post paid through an the ebay account on my monthly invoice and therefore ebay wouldn't allow me to pull a new fedex label from a changed "from" address. so i was stuck with the much more expensive USPS labels on ebay trying to ship her belongings to my home while also arranging a funeral and other things, which is paid by my paypal account. So First I went to Paypal and changed my backup source of funds on the entire account (I thought) to the credit card from my empty bank account to it and then proceeded to pull the $100s of dollars worth of labels  I needed. so I get home today and find $185 worth of overdraft charges on my bank account because Paypal went ahead and charged my bank account and when i call them up, they tell me it's because it goes with the individual billing agreement I signed with eBay for the payment of the labels and not what i put it to on paypal. among the many curse words I called the jerks who said "we didn't do anything wrong" I said well I"m sure you'll keep with that line and sleep like a baby every night" but you are criminal, immoral, unethical , not to mention intellectually bankrupt  **bleep** and shouldn't be able to."  and hung up. in short, this story is about how P aypal walks like a duck (bank) talks like a duck (bank) when it signs us up and keeps our money, making us think it's going to behave ethically like one, but has completely different  unethical surprise ways of handling our accounts which leads to unnecessary, unethical, immoral impacts on it's customers. I mean imagine if your bank issued separate billing agreements with each of your billers that pulled funds from where ever the fine print in each one said and you went to change that in a n emergency situation and thought you did but didn't and incurred a bunch of overdraft charges? That's what Paypal did to me this weekend while I was all ready spending hundreds of dollars dealing with my ONLY daughter's sudden death in another state!. Like I said it walks like a duck talks like a duck, and then surprise, it starts making vulture noises! I think it's high time that all the banking regulations affecting customers APPLY TO PAYPAL.! this is the problem: Paypal  does everything a bank does including offering a checking account, but because they are legally not a bank, they get to make up crap to benefit themselves and **bleep** their customers as they see fit and it needs to end. So here's to Progressives in 2020 winning the White House and Congress and bringing such unethical companies like Paypal, Ebay, Google, Amazon , health care, the Military Industrial complex and all the others to heel and make this country AND the companies  FINALLY truly begin SERVING THE PUBLIC that they are supposed to be serving if not for our thoroughly corrupt government that is supposed to serve us, but instead serves them. so I got stuck with $185 in bank charges because Paypal can legally walk like a bank , talk like a bank, pretend to be a bank but have completely different user agreements that have hidden little gems of legal fraud like this.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@rubrtoe 

Sorry for your loss but understand that automatic payment/billing agreement funding sources settings are separate from your wallet settings. When you change your preferred method in the wallet, it doesn't change the payment method that is set up in the billing agreement link between PayPal and the merchant site. 

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/what-is-my-preferred-payment-method-and-how-can-i-change...

As time go on, PayPal account gets more and more complicated to use because of tech innovation and regulatory laws. More and more merchants are into setting up billing agreements/automatic payments which one needs to watch out for. You just didn't know the extent to how billing agreement and wallet settings work. It's important to keep up to date and know how your PayPal account work from back to front and vice versa because the mistakes cost money. Perhaps speak with your bank and see if they can reduce or forgive the overdraft fees due to bereavement.

Just writing this because it is important to point out this function to readers.

How to locate your automatic payment settings:

Personal Acct:

Go to Account Settings (gear icon) > Payments > Manage Automatic Payments

Select merchant on left, click Cancel or Edit on the right.

Business Acct:

Go to Account Settings (gear icon) > Money, banks and cards > Automatic payments > Set Automatic Payments

Click Merchant link from list and Edit or Cancel on the next page.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

rubrtoe
Contributor
Contributor

like I didn't know (after the fact) all this? I should have know before hand becausze this is the way our entire cgovewrnment operates, to suit themselves, not us and then people like you and them think it's just love3ely hunky dory fine and I shouldn't complain. well guess what, legal or not, this is immoral, unethical and WRONG just like 99.9% of our government that bombs, tortures, rapes, starves and kills old men, innocent women ,children & babies with my tax $ without my consent. So I guess I should consider myself lucky to live here and not in Yemen, Syria,Afganistan, Venezuela, (or anywhere in south and central america), Libya... right? well I do, But I am NOT PROUD OF IT.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.