Payment to subscription service made from the wrong card

semirte
Contributor
Contributor

Hey all,

I have two cards on my account - Visa and MasterCard.

I have signed up for the 7day free trial with a website, after 7 days my account would be charged $19.99. I have chosen the PayPal as a way to pay it eventually and selected my Visa card where I have manual inflow of money so I could control the spending.

After 7 days have passed, I presumed my trial would be cancelled since I didn't have any money on Visa card - on purpose! However, PayPal withdrew the amount from the other card and paid the subscription fee.

Is this some standard behaviour for these kinds of payments - it is listed as automatic payment. I will call PayPal tomorrow since today is Sunday, I would like to know if this is a default behaviour or if anyone else had the same issue.

Since I can't made payments from the "empty" card - it doesn't automatically charge the card that has the amount, the same should be applied to charging.

Thanks

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_AshleyM

Hey @semirte,

I'm sorry to hear what happened with the unexpected charge. When you have a billing agreement and multiple payment methods in your account, if the transaction with the selected payment method fails, we will take the charge from the backup payment method. When we initiate a request for a transaction on your behalf, we don't know whether or not there are funds for the payment. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

- Ashley M

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

PayPal_AshleyM

Hey @semirte,

I'm sorry to hear what happened with the unexpected charge. When you have a billing agreement and multiple payment methods in your account, if the transaction with the selected payment method fails, we will take the charge from the backup payment method. When we initiate a request for a transaction on your behalf, we don't know whether or not there are funds for the payment. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

- Ashley M

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

semirte
Contributor
Contributor

Hey @PayPal_AshleyM ,

thanks, I just wasn't aware of the way that agreement functions. Thank you for clarifying and for the quick reply.

Best regards.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.