Authorizing a payment, but then refunding it because of insufficient funds.

Baconslap
Contributor
Contributor
Hi, i recently went to buy a hoodie through paypal. I releazied after the authorization i didnt have the funds to pay for it. So i instantly refunded the money. I then recieved 2 $30 charges to my bank account. I still haven't recieved my refund even though it says i have recieved it. I have called customer support twice. The last time the man told me to go **** myself. This is very unacceptable, i still dont know why i haven't recieved my money. Thanks for the help!
Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Baconslap

Canceling and refunding the order will not stop the processing of the bank payment transaction. If you don't have the funds when PayPal tried the first time to get paid from your bank, PayPal will try 2 more times.

Each time, your bank will hit you with NSFs. If you still don't put funds in the bank after the third time, PayPal will charge your back up (your credit card). All this will happen in a space of 6 to 7 days from date of transaction.

So the next time you pay with bank and PayPal fail to get paid, put money in your bank quick! Paypal will wait a couple days then they will attempt to get paid, no funds? Then another couple days and they'll try again. Funds need to be put in during those intervals.

After all that when PayPal finally gets funds from you, it will end up in your PayPal account or bank or back on your credit card since you had the payment refunded which also takes time.  Always make sure you have funds when paying with bank.

And keep in mind that, with instant transfer bank payments, PayPal fronts the money to the seller and waits for your bank to pay up and that takes 3 to 5 days by itself so even if you got a refund, it'll take that long for the funds to get to PayPal before they can put it back into your PayPal balance or your bank. I'm sure customer service reps don't have time to explain all this out to you as they got people waiting all kinds of crazy number of hours to speak to a rep.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Baconslap
Contributor
Contributor
How much do i need to add? The full amount or just to get outta negative?
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Baconslap

If PayPal charged your card then you don't have to pay what you "owe" PayPal. So check your credit card to see if they put a charge on it. Because there are reports where people added money to zero out the PayPal balance, they end up paying twice so, just let the process complete. The milk has already been spilt. Since you canceled your order and got a refund, let the funds from the credit card (if charged) go back on the card, that is if PayPal charged your back up (the credit card) for whatever amount you didn't have in your bank account. 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Baconslap
Contributor
Contributor
Yes, i have 2 NSF fees for $30 dollars each. What does this mean do i still need to pay the $-29 to balance out my bank account or no. Its been like 8 or 9 days already.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.