Payflow API vs Smart Buttons

chad_nxlv
New Community Member

Hello all,

I recently built a single-page cart and checkout for a client using Vue.js, and integrated PayPal's Smart Buttons (which seems like it uses the new Checkout REST API).

Everything has been working fine, however, I got a notice from the client today that PayPal told them that they should be using the "PayPal Manager" instead.  I dug a little bit deeper and apparently they are being told by PayPal that the site must use Payflow Pro, and that they want to go with checkout "Layout B".  As I understand it, this indicates they are being told to use the hosted checkout pages, presumably to maintain PCI compliance and prevent any payment card data from hitting the site (which it doesn't do now either when using the Smart Buttons).

My question is, what is the fundamental difference here?  I don't want to push back too much but I am struggling to understand why I am being asked to re-work the checkout process to use an older API when Smart Buttons seem to be the preferred, modern method according to the (horrendous) API documentation. However, using a hosted checkout page in Payflow would require that my Vue.js app be completely re-worked as I would need to create routes for the PayPal checkout page to send the user to to resume and complete their order, rather than keeping it how it is now where everything happens on the same page and the Smart Buttons take place in a pop-up.

Is there a fee difference when using the Payflow service?  Do transactions get put into a different account?  When I log in to their PayPal account, the transactions coming from the newly-built checkout are showing up identical to the ones from their old checkout.

I guess my question is, why?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

MTS-Aaron
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @chad_nxlv 

You're right on and my same question would be why they were asked to use "Manager" or "Payflow". The person saying that should be reassured that you do have the newest integration and (IMO) the best flow possible for your site. "Downgrading" to an older product doesn't make sense unless the merchant is attempting to do more customized direct credit card processing that the Smart Payment Button can't do. Both options are PCI compliant.

Payflow fees are really quite cheap at $0.10 a transaction. The transactions could be linked with the existing PayPal account. If the flow is working according to the merchant's needs, then there is certainly no reason to change it. If they are wanting to do more customized card processing, then Payflow might be the product to look into as Payflow is best at DCC processing. Again, it makes the most sense to stay with Smart Payment Buttons rather than switching to another product if the merchant is happy with their current flow.

I hope that helps!

-Aaron

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.