PayPal Debit Card?

gpattonmills
Contributor
Contributor

How do you guys feel about the PayPal debit card? I was thinking about getting one since I use my PP A LOT and it would be so much easier than anticipating everything 3-5 days in advance.....

Thanks

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

gpattonmills
Contributor
Contributor

Anything???

Login to Me Too

Bijocco
New Community Member

Considering it is not actually a "debit" card, I'm giving up on the idea.  The thing that gets me is that one has to apply for the thing in the first place.  They check your credit which means you are applying for a credit card.  What happens is they will give you the option to turn it into a credit card so they can make even more off of you through interest rates and more fees.  They need to issue debit cards automatically (or by request) without requiring approval or a credit check.  Banks do not make you fill out an application for a debit card when you open an account with them; they mail you one automatically.  This is the same principle.  I just started using PayPal regularly for selling and buying on eBay and I am already exasperated with them.  With all of the complaints and lawsuits I've read about with eBay and PayPal (eBay bought PayPal), I'm amazed at their continued lack of customer satisfaction and convenience.  Try asking the "virtual chat" woman a question and see how closely it applies to the relevance of your question.  Try searching PayPal to find out why you need to apply for a debit card rather than just being issued one automatically.  If your credit is fine and you don't mind having a credit check on your credit history, go for it. It's the fastest way to withdraw funds from your PayPal. That I know of, anyway.

Login to Me Too

brendakthornton
Contributor
Contributor

it is a visa debit

Login to Me Too

brendakthornton
Contributor
Contributor

gpattonmills
Contributor
Contributor

That is exactly why I was asking. I don't particularly think I need a credit check JUST to get a debit card. Because as you said, I get one automatically when I open a bank account, and what is PayPal but an online bank account?

It's not like I would ever upgrade to a credit card, I think they are evil things that make people spend money they never had (and will never have). So why should I be given the option to upgrade to something I'm never going to use? Banks don't run a credit check, just in case I want a credit card.

I dunno, I think I will ponder the aspect more. It would make things easier but I'm not sure if I want that on my credit history, like you said.

Thanks ^^

Login to Me Too

trusake
Contributor
Contributor

but he's not giving you the upside to it. Banks will now start charging for monthly fees just for using debit cards, Wells Fargo, Bank of America, Suntrust... and well, Paypal does not charge for using it (yet), so since Paypal takes the money off the bank as a bank transaction, you won't get any extra fees from banks or Paypal.

I rather have them check my credit and hand me a debit card, than having to pay fees for a debit card as if it was a credit card.

Login to Me Too

Licentia

I figure that I'm gonna have to pay some fees one way or another - that's how these companies stay in business - but I expect the entire fee structure to be clear, transparent, well-documented and consistant. I haven't found anyplace where PayPal meets this criteria... but of course it's hard to really understand all this fee info from ANY financial company. They all purpously make it difficult to know your exact fees in advance. What a scam...

Login to Me Too

gpattonmills
Contributor
Contributor

I have heard that they are going to start doing that, but I don't have to worry about that since my husband and i use USAA, and they haven't said anything about charging monthly fees.

Other than that I've read all over these forums that people's PP cards are being declined for insuficient funds when there are funds, they are haveing a hard time renewing their cards and so one and so forth.

Login to Me Too

writerinmo
Contributor
Contributor

I've had the Paypal debit card for right at a year now. NO PROBLEMS in using it anywhere and everywhere, online or in stores. I've used it to purchase aluminum for my small business, dinner out with the wife on our anniversary, gasoline I don' t know HOW many times and many more. I earn cash back with it as well, not all that much but getting a couple of bucks back for spending my own money is always a plus. I do need to have them send me a new card as this one is starting to get a bit worn and some scanners are having trouble reading the info strip on it. I have terrible credit, so I don't know that they ran a credit check on me in order to get it, since it' s linked to my checking account as a backup funding. I really can't think of anything bad that I can say about it at all.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.