Debit Card is being declined for no reason.

scsweethearts
Contributor
Contributor

My debit card was declined twice recently, when I have more than enough money to cover my purchases. I really need to be able to use my card for purchases and have it be reliable.

Does anyone know why this would happen?

Login to Me Too
18 REPLIES 18

tservers
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

What's your PayPal status?... Personal or Premier?

What card are you talking about? A PayPal debit card?

Is the debit card information your name AND still matching information PayPal have on file?.. If not, that could be the reason.

Login to Me Too

scsweethearts
Contributor
Contributor

It's a personal account that I use for my Etsy business.

Yes, my Paypal Debit Mastercard.

I used the card twice with no problem on this day, and then it was declined at a store not 30 minutes after the previous time I used it. And later that evening, it was declined for an online purchase.

All of my information pertaining to the card is still accurate...always has been.

The problem happened quickly and out of left field. I have no idea why it would happen. So now I'm stuck with no quick access to my money. All of my income comes in through Paypal, and now I have to constantly withdraw money to my bank debit (which takes 4-5 days) before I can make purchases. It's extremely inconvenient.

Login to Me Too

tservers
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

You have two choices:

1. Upgrade your PayPal account to Premier Account ....OR

2. Keep your Personal Account and have a limit on the total dollar amount that can transact through that account per month.

I believe it's $500.. it may be more, not sure, but with a Personal Account, you can do about $500 worth of transaction per month. I may not be accurate, but that's part of your problem. Add upp your totals for the last 30 days at least and see if it totals $500 or more, and add the transactions you were denied... They add up to what amount?

Upgrade your account... then the limits are lifted off the account.

Login to Me Too

scsweethearts
Contributor
Contributor

I was wrong. I have a Business account. I checked, and it doesn't have any limits with the debit card.

Login to Me Too

tservers
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Then maybe your transaction limit for the DAY have been reached, although Business means there are no limits.

If the money is in your PayPal account and you can't make a transaction go through, then I'd bet you've maxed out the daily spending limit.

That's my guess.

Call PayPal, they'll tell you why when you call them.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi scsweethearts, and welcome to the forums!

If your debit card is being declined, definitely give the number on the card a call. A representative can determine the reason why, and help fix it.

Let us know how it works out!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

coffeetime31
New Community Member

I have been having the same problem with my card also. I even went on break  at 3:15 for a coffee and bagel and got denied even with well over the amount needed to buy my stuff. It didn't look good when they tell me sorry your card got denided! So I guess I had it with the denied and will call when I get out of work. Just think it will be better for me to just tranfer my money to my bank so I don't get denied for a 3.48 purchase when I really have it in my account.

Login to Me Too

technot
Contributor
Contributor

I agree with Coffeetime.  I have a valid backup funding source....my bank, and I got significantly delayed at an airport today because my damned PayPal card was declined.  My backup funding source is on my account and is valid and verified.  It was the only purchase for the day...I've only done about $30 in purchases so far this month, I have a business account, and lots of money in my bank account.

There is absolutely NO REASON why my backup funding source shouldn't have covered the simple luggage charge at a frickin airport!

This is absolutely the WORST credit card I have EVER had.

If anyone reading this post is considering a card, I highly recommend NOT getting one!!

Login to Me Too

gridironheros
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the exact same problem - back-up funding to my bank account, and still getting denied when there are plenty of funds left on the back-up funding amount. I have emailed paypal and await a reply.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.