Debit Card is being declined for no reason.

scsweethearts
Contributor
Contributor

My debit card was declined twice recently, when I have more than enough money to cover my purchases. I really need to be able to use my card for purchases and have it be reliable.

Does anyone know why this would happen?

Login to Me Too
18 REPLIES 18

troublemaker
Contributor
Contributor

Report this information to the Better Business Bureau we need to create bad feed back on their practices!

Login to Me Too

TheKnittingMom
New Community Member

So I'm not the only one having this problem? It all started a few weeks ago, when I went to a local fast food place. Card was declined even though plenty of funds are in my backup bank account. I e-mailed PayPal just to see what was going on. They said that nothing was wrong, and that sometimes even a "good" account can get declined. Well ok I guess. But I haven't been able to use it for a single purchase since. It has been declined at a gas station, a grocery store, and online.  I haven't spent a penny in over a month and my backup funds are at 100% so that's not the problem. I just e-mailed again to see what the problem might be. Does anyone know if it might be the bank that I'm using for the backup method? I don't know how this all works exactly. Thanks.

Login to Me Too

sonny67
New Community Member

I had the same problem once so I called the help number and They told me that a hold was placed on my card because there were some out of the country charges made with my card and they needed me to verify that the charges were right. Once I told them everything was OK they removed the hold on my card.

Login to Me Too

OddLilDuck
New Community Member

Mine was just declined twice, too.  I have back up funding that has always worked fine in the past and there are funds in there.  I have been on hold for 12 minutes now waiting to find out why.  😞  Not happy.

Login to Me Too

AhlamO
Contributor
Contributor

I have been experiencing the same issue since last week. Something really odd is happeneing. My card gets declined for every other transaction.

Login to Me Too

Thismomshops
New Community Member

Hey guys! If your card is being declined this might be the most logical reason. I only hada small amount in my PP account but I knew there was enough in my bank account to cover the purchase, but my card was declined, declined, declined. Fortunately I had spare cash on me 🙂 Anyways, as it turns out, PP does NOT automatically add a backup funding source for the PP Debit Mastercard. Go to your MAIN PP page and look the right hand side, you should see where it says PP Debit Mastercard, click the link and then click "Add back up now" then follow the prompts. Here's to hoping there will be no more embarrasing moments at Subway! LOL

Login to Me Too

PamNiedermayer
New Community Member

I haven't been declined yet, but expect to at any minute. Why? Because a rep from the company that does fraud protection called this evening and asked whether several donations to progressive and environmental groups valid. This is a somewhat sporadic activity; but something I've done with the same payees for at least three years. I suspect the company is a conservative group, perhaps owned by the Koch brothers, who by asking about this activity hope to discourage it.

In addtition, on another debit card during the past two weeks, grocery purchases have been declined, also with more than sufficient funds in the account. They claim it's because we went to two grocery stores in the same day. Granted, not usual, but both were stores that we've shopped at every week for 11 years.

I seriously think that they're trying to normalize our activity just by asking and annoying. I've decided not to play. Until tonight, Paypal has been a very reliable and honest vendor. If they want to stop their previous behavior, I'll simply cancel the card and start carrying cash again. Sure would save a lot of money in online purchases.

Login to Me Too

Vickyniki
Contributor
Contributor

Hi guys, It was happening to me too until I added my bank account as a back up. I guess it is required now to do so. Now it works perfectly fine.

Login to Me Too

Freight_train
Contributor
Contributor

Ya

So funny it's sad.

While I hadn't suffered this problem I must confess that without the replacement card they promised a year os ro ago it's academic.

I raved about the same needs to seemingly sympathetic ears and was promissed results which I got.

The problem with the results is that they are negative in the sense that I am still waiting.

I hope they aren't going out of business soon.

This is the usual warning sign of a business going south.   First a slow down on service, then the lack of communication or making it harder to reach someone, then the total disregard for the client altogether.

That smacks of a business struggling to keep their heads above water and no time for individual needs.

Train

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.