PayPal credit is a horrible program

Temp20220923E
Contributor
Contributor

So I opened a paypal credit account about 3.weeks ago, no problem. I IMMEDIATELY made a purchase for $1000..... this was a brand new account (both the credit account and the paypal account). No problem, it went through. This purchase was only to pay a deposit on a custom built instrument, so I still owe thousands. Anyway, I still have about $3000 left on my paypal credit line, which I attempted to use later. Here's where the problems started. The paypal credit option was never even available again. Same merchant I had already gave $1000 to. I tried a $5.00 transaction , all the way to $2500 transaction... not 1 worked. Talked to synchrony bank; they said my account had a hold due to being new but it would be ok in 4 to 5 days. Waited a week and still doesn't work. Call back, they say there's nothing wrong with your account, and connected me to the paypal wallet team. The lady I talked to there was as dumb as a brick. Her answer for me was it was the security program. I asked her why her security program didnt prevent me from sending $1000 3 minutes after opening a paypal accpunt....... no answer. She said she suggested I link another card to the account so I could be verified. I then tell her I had done this and it still didnt work. Therefore I removed the cards so as not to inadvertently charge something to my bank account I dont have the funds for (if I did I wouldnt have gotten paypal credit). Long story short, when I asked her if shes was telling me the account would not allow me to use it anymore, her answer was, "for now ". What kind of garbage is that? PayPal could very easily go in and approve your transactions. I've had other creditors do this before. The thing is, had paypal not allowed me to pay a $1000 deposit in the beginning, I'd be fine with it. Now as it is. I'm owing paypal $1000 and am not able to complete my purchase due to bbn or being able to use anymore of the credit line. Seems to me paypal credit is a con. I'm sure some "advisor" will.get on here and give me some silly answer, but before you do remember that I already used this account, the ban lkl that issues the accounts said I shouldn't have a problem, I wasn't a security risk when I charged $1k, I've added cards a.bank account and it still will not work. Either update your terms and conditions to say this is not a cresitnline you have freedom to use, update your system or quit offering "credit". Oh, and for the love of Pete hire people who can comprehend and have a little empathy.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Temp20220923E 

PayPal Credit may not be available for every transaction as they reserve the right to restrict the use of the credit line. PPC is hooked up to the checkout system and its AI software is what risk accesses each transaction based on account history. Sometimes, new accounts can't use it at all unless a few successfully completed transactions with own linked accounts without disputes are made for the system to go on whether to offer PayPal Credit at all for awhile or again during checkout. Its all algorithms and the AI cannot explain why it make such decisions and it can't be overridden. We can only guess. Perhaps make a couple transactions with your own linked funding sources and see it'll let you use it.

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/why-is-paypal-credit-not-offered-at-checkout-faq3436

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/why-am-i-unable-to-pay-with-paypal-credit-faq3328

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Temp20220923E
Contributor
Contributor
Please stop with the stock answer. You insult my intelligence. When they approve me for $1000 3.minutes after opening my account, and now I cant use the paypal credit for ANYTHING, this doesn't apply. I csnt buy something for $3.00 from merchants paypal advertises, lol. The bank that stands good for the line of credit says theres no issues. PayPal credit isnt even available un my wallet! It would be different if it came up and told me it wasn't available for certain purchases. I love the script you all read from, but bottom line, paypal should say, up front in nice big letters, that this is NOT a line of credit. You can use every penny of a normal line of credit, anywhere that accepts that method of payment. If paypal is going to allow me to spend money somewhere 1 day, I should be able to spend money with that same merchant another day. Like I said, it's a horrible program. I'll be telling everyone how bad it is, paying this off and closing tee he account. It has caused more headache than it has spared.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.