Account Limitation - Not my debt!

James_leg
Contributor
Contributor

I wonder if anyone can help at all, as my situation is not being understood by PayPal. 

My account has been limited over the last couple of months, as they have identified a link between my account and another account. The other account has an outstanding debt in the thousands.

The other account is actually my ex girlfriends account. The link has been established via an old link from eBay, around 8-9 years ago, when she used my eBay to sell some items.

Her account was closed by eBay back in 2012 due to none payment of fees, something eBay confirmed to me to confirm that yes there WAS a link, but clearly this is old. I haven't had any form of contact or link since. I have used my PayPal as normal for the past few years, from using their PayPal credit service (which I never missed a payment, nor accrue any interest as I stuck to their interest free if paid off in 4 months) and have even sold some items via eBay and Depop using it. No issues, no complaints, no missed payments or outstanding balances.

But, now that this account limitation has been placed, they are putting me as a 'risk' due to my ex partners debt, rather than basing their judgement on MY history and MY account activity. I am being tarnished with the same brush and do not think this is fair. I went through the resolutions offered, which was to provide photo ID and bank statements, but still the account has not been opened. I must have spent around 4-5 hours on the phone over the last few weeks trying to resolve this, but I don't feel I am being understood. The person who placed the account limitation despite all the above, still poses me as a risk and that the only way in which this limitation can be lifted, is if the outstanding balance is paid on the other account (which Isn't mine!) and even had emails asking for a cheque to be sent to pay the debt.

This morning I have received an email stating my appeals have been refused and that the account is now going to be closed. I don't feel much logic has been applied to this decision as despite me being very cooperative and spending so much time to resolve this, they have merely seen an old link, put me in the same box and dont want me using their services anymore. All they get out of this is a loss of monies from my ex, as well as loss of a customer who uses their service regularly.

I am just hoping someone else has had this experience and just wonder is there anything I can do? I actually love PayPals service (well before now) and want to continue using it. I have asked PayPal to give me options to resolve, but nothing has been offered other than to pay the outstanding balance, on another persons account. So so frustrating. No compassion or empathy has been applied nor do I think my situation is being considered.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@James_leg 

Sadly if it was your ebay account (used by her) that the debt is on then its your debt?

Or if it was your paypal account linked to her ebay account that was used then again the debt would be yours as paypal is used to pay those fees.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

James_leg
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks for the reply..but the debt is not on my ebay account or paypal account. The debt appears to be accrued via PayPal credit as it amounts to around 2000-3000 pounds.
Login to Me Too

James_leg
Contributor
Contributor

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.