International transactions

Cadd1e
New Community Member

I wonder if anyone can help? If I sell internationally, do I pay a conversion rate on every sale? Or do I pay conversion rate when I take the money out of the account? So if I sell a book for example $10 does the buyer pay the conversion rate or do I pay it? Or will I see the $10 in my account then when I withdraw this I pay a exchange rate? Any help will be appreciated 👍🏻

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

-you are in UK,if you state you only accept GBP,or you sell on EBAY uk ,then the buyer has to pay you in GBP.

IF he is in a foreign country,and he pays with his local currency,Paypal will convert it into GBP and charge him 3 % conversion and you pay no conversion fee but just  the seller fee of 30 cents plus 4.4% for cross border transaction.

But if you do accept foreign currency,then Paypal will convert into GBP for you and charge you 3%/

You can also go into your profile and state which foreign currencies you accept and if you want to keep it as foreign currency.

then you will have a separate balance per currency.and pay no conversion fee

but someday if yo want to transfer that foreign currency to your local bank account,you pay 3% 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @nevadasmith,

Thank you for providing information to others in the forum! The information you provided about whether or not a conversion rate will apply was correct, as that depends on the currency of the transaction. Please note that the currency exchange rate is not a fixed rate of 3%, however. For more information, please take a look at this article for US, or this one for UK.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

I know the exchange rate varies,but it is my understanding Paypal also charges a 3% conversion fee ,please tell me it aint so? 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @nevadasmith,

An exchange rate is calculated based on the wholesale currency markets and does also include a conversion fee. The final rates that are charged are comparable with the rates that are available to consumers through banks or other currency exchange shops. For more information, please take a look at the Fees section of the PayPal User Agreement.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

thanks,now I know

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.