New to the community? Welcome! Please read our Community Rules and Guidelines
Join the live Q&A with our Community moderator team Wednesdays, 1-2pm PT (4-5pm ET) and Fridays, 4-5pm GMT. Learn more in Community Events
What is the difference between a Personal and a Business PayPal account?
If you primarily need to make purchases and send money to family and friends, a personal account is probably right for you. With a personal account you can do things like:
* Send and request money from friends and family.
* Buy goods and services.
* You can also use a personal account to receive money for the sale of goods and services, but if you plan to use your PayPal account primarily to sell things, you should consider a business account. You can upgrade a personal account to a business account should circumstances change.
You can create item buttons with a Personal account however, there are limitations:
* You cannot save the button code to the PayPal servers or your account. (No "My Saved Buttons" option)
* You cannot create an email URL text link.
* You cannot create shipping methods or tax tables.
* You cannot track inventory or profit and loss.
* You cannot customize the checkout screens or display a logo and you don't have the option of any advanced features.
* You cannot create an active recurring or subscription item button.
* Personal Accounts will display both your name and email address to buyers.
A Business account has all of those features and more.
With a Business Account, buyers will see your business name and business email address - they would only see your name if it was the same as the business name.
PayPal recommend business accounts for people and organizations that primarily use PayPal to sell goods or services or accept donations, even if your business is not incorporated.
With a business account, you can do things like:
* Use a company or business name as the name on your PayPal account.
* Allow up to 200 employees access to some of the features of your PayPal account.
* Sign up for PayPal products that meet your business needs.