selling laptop and someone wants to pay with paypal and have it sent oversea is this a scam?

Rickyc93
New Community Member

Hello,

I am currently selling my macbook on gumtree and a couple of people want to buy it and have it sent over sea. I am just wondering if this is a scam as the laptop is worth a lot of money. They are happy to pay for the laptop before I send it and the postage im just wondering if they going to try and recall or something?

Many Thanks

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor
Rickyc93 If its a typical paypal SCAM then you will get a fake spoof paypal email saying you had paid BUT the funds wouldn't SHOW in your paypal account balance until you email them a tracking number. BUT paypal do not tell you to send an item BEFORE funds are showing. Even if pending it will SHOW in your paypal account balance. So be aware also you need to read up on seller protection before you start to sell so that you can risk assess your transactions.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Rickyc93
New Community Member

Thank you for your advice! He said that he would be sending it as goods with a protection plan and swears that the payment will not be recalled but i think I am going to steer clear from this one and have a read up about seller protection!

Thank you.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.