Should I report this scammer? If yes, how?

jinyoon0501
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, 

To explain what happened, I posted an item for sale as an auction, and this one person contacted via eBay message saying that he wants to pay me directly via PayPal and asked me to ship the item with the next day delivery shipping method. So I agreed with his offer and requested money to him with the email he provided me. After a few hours, he emailed me saying I should have received the confirmation email by now and to check my junk mailbox along with his physical address for me to ship the item. I've never gotten any PayPal confirmation emails to my junk mailbox over the years of using PayPal, so I was getting suspicious by then. I check the junk mailbox, and there were two emails, the first one was errored, so I just deleted it, and the second one was fake looking confirmation email from <removed>, I contacted PayPal customer service team and explained the situation and asked if that email is legit, and they told me he's a scammer and do not trust him ever. I made up my mind that he's a scammer and replied to him that I won't be able to keep up with this sale with him. He then again replied back to me saying that PayPal is holding onto the fund for the security purpose, and at the same time, I got another email from this fake PayPal email address I mentioned above, saying the same thing that they are holding onto the fund between this buyer and you(which is me) for the security issue. So I once again contacted PayPal team and explained the situation and if it's true that PayPal is holding on the money and they said it is not true and that person is trying to scam me. So I went back to this buyer and replied that I checked with the PayPal team that all those emails are not official and that I don't want to keep up with this sale. He responded to me saying that I'm the scammer and he'll report me. But, it's very obvious that he faked the emails, and tried to scam me. I have an email of him using fake PayPal email and our conversation, and also his physical address he provided for me to ship the item to. Should I report him? If yes, to where and how?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jinyoon0501 

Not a lot of point, they use throwaway email addresses and i.d's and are usually in another country.

As none of the transaction would have been done using paypals site then it would be pointless reporting it to paypal.

This scam has been ongoing for at least 15 years and I post the same answer to questions about this scam at least 6 times a day.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.