Paying for a Car by Paypal

efunc
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all, I'm about to be buying a car from a private seller and because of the cost I have to use my Paypal account to transfer some of the funds to the seller. I will first transfer her £10,000 in person from my bank account. But my daily bank transfer limit is only £10,000, so the rest of the payment will need to be made using an alternative method. She suggested Paypal which I thought I could do in person immediately after doing the £10,000 bank transfer. My question is, is there a payment limit in Paypal too? I've never sent a payment of thousands of pounds so don't know if it's instantaneous or has to go through a review, etc.

- Should I first fund my Paypal account with the amount required, so my bank isn't the funding source for the transaction?

- Do I need to ensure the seller's account is fully varified and has no receiving limit?

- Since there's no Buyer/Seller protection for cars is a 'Friends & Family' transaction operationally the same as a 'Goods' transaction?

- Should I notify Paypal in advance so the transaction doesn't flag anything up in their systems?

Anything else I need to prepare for or ensure the seller has prepared for in advance so there are no surprises?

Thank you in advance.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

efunc
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone know?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Hello @efunc,

There's no limit to send funds, but there are a few limits on how much you can add into your account per day, week, & month. However, this sounds like a common scam. Please read over this Help Center article to see if anything lines up with what your seller is saying: Scams on Craigslist and Other Classifieds Websites .

If you end up going through with the purchase, I would recommend sending it as Goods & Services, only in one payment, after you've seen the car and drove it, and with a credit card for an extra layer of protection. It is correct that purchasing automobiles are not covered under our Buyer Protection. 

Best of luck!!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.