Need recommendations before a transaction

expat42451
Contributor
Contributor

I am a photographer.  Recently on a photography forum that I have belonged to since 2012, a camera/lens combination came up for sale  by another member who I do not know. I  have seen his posts but am not personally acquainted with him. FWTW, he has a number of  years of history on the forum  although less than I have. The camera/lens deal he is offering is for $1000 less than the market price of the camera/lens combination when purchased new from Amazon. I asked him for photos of the camera and lens and the serial numbers of both  which he sent.   While there is a lot of photography equipment for sale  both from hardship surrounding COVID and the advent of good cameras in cell phones, the fact that his price is 30% less than the new price on Amazon makes me uneasy. Additionally  the e mail address of the Paypal user where I would send the money is not the seller's e mail address. Although the last names are the same, the seller claims that he does not have a Paypal account and is "using his brother's account" for this transaction.  I get the impression that the seller is elderly. I have both the seller and the supposed brother's e mail addresses. The seller was forthcoming with this information.

While the price is good I do not want to go through the hassle of a failed transaction. Again, the seller has been on this forum for a number of years and is not someone who created a user account 2 weeks ago to perpetrate fraud.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

expat42451
Contributor
Contributor

as an addition to the above his phone number is from the same area indicated as his residence on the forum.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.