A phone number got added?!

Daniboo
Contributor
Contributor
This morning I received an email stating I had successfully added a phone number to my account. This wasn’t me and certainly wasn’t my phone number, the email came from service @ . com. I changed my password but I’m still worried about this, any advice on what I should do? Anyone else had this? Thanks
Login to Me Too
17 REPLIES 17

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Joshyboy20 

@Daniboo 

If its a spoof, NEVER USE ANY LINK.

Firstly if the email/text addressed you as ''Dear Member'' / ''Customer'' / ''Client'' OR your ''email address'' then that confirms its a spoof as paypal would address you by your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Secondly if there was a link OR attachment in that email/text to ''cancel'' any transaction or ''confirm'' any details then again it would be a spoof.

If there was a problem with your account Paypal would not ask you to click on an unsafe link in an email or by downloading an attachment, they would direct you to log in normally and go to the resolution or the message centre for more information.

More info here >>
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/how-to-spot-fake-emails-faq2340/2
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/suspicious-activity

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Joshyboy20
Contributor
Contributor
Right ok well its from the service paypal address
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Joshyboy20 

Most spoofs are, scammers make them look as if they are coming from a genuine source.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Daniboo
Contributor
Contributor
The number I had “added” was different to that joshy, I too clicked the link saying if you haven’t done this change your password. Is this “glitch” putting our accounts at risk!?
Login to Me Too

Joshyboy20
Contributor
Contributor
Well they have now told me the phone number wasnt added to my paypal but added when i purchased an item on ebay. I did purchase an item but dont recognise the phone number they say i added to my ebay when i purchased this item?
Login to Me Too

Joshyboy20
Contributor
Contributor
Well paypal have told me this email has been sent by error and is a technical issue that seems to occur when people sign in as guest? Another agent told me it wasnt added to paypal but was added to my wbay when i purchased an item through ebay?
Login to Me Too

XP8103
New Community Member

My wife just got one of these emails.  They are not spoofs.  I work in IT, I know spoof emails and know how to look to see if the sender is actually sending you to a valid location.  The email links were to PP and regardless, my wife does NOT have a PP account, never has.  So that lends credence to the idea that it was a guest check out.  Kind of interesting the PP even keeps it's guest data, you know, people who don't WANT to sign up for PP?  I mean what could happen there?  🙄

Login to Me Too

bitbucket000
New Community Member

I had the same problem - except mine was scary real.

I was on eBay and checked out with Paypal.  It failed - which is strange.  Then I logged into Paypal directly and it wouldn't show my balance.

Then I got the email notification that (4xx)xxx-1234 got added to my Paypal account.  Now it turns out that 4 and 1234 (not really) are in my mobile phone number.

I thought ok...  Then I tried to set up 2FA with this number and sent texts to the number but nothing went through.  At this point, my security alarms went off big time.  I promptly changed my password and deleted this number that looked like my real mobile number but wasn't.

I then added my real mobile number.  I got a confirmation text immediately.  Then I added 2FA and got a confirmation text immediately.  Whatever this (4xx)xxx-1234 number was, it clearly wasn't my mobile number.

I feel like I just narrowly avoided getting my account stolen.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.