Significant delays in IPNs

paulatthehug
Contributor
Contributor

It's been a long time since we've seen this but on Thursday 28/09 and again today we are seeing IPNs being significantly delayed.

This is intermittent - some are getting through - but most aren't and https://www.paypal.com/merchantnotification/ipn/history now shows lots of IPNs still retrying.

We have checked that we are not blocking any of PayPal's IP address ranges https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/what-are-the-ip-addresses-for-live-paypal-servers-ts1056 so it's not that.

All the IPNs we are seeing are coming from [removed], which has been the pattern for a long time, and when we look at the IPN history it's showing that those that did succeed often only did so after retries.

Anyone else seeing this? Any thoughts?

TIA

Paul

Login to Me Too
13 REPLIES 13

hmoorefd
Contributor
Contributor

Yes! Same here! Happened 2-3 days ago, and then again today!

We usually get IPNs from 2 different IPs. One ends in 140 and one in 65.  We are now only seeing a few IPNs come in thru 65, but none via 140.

This is clearly a PayPal issue NOT showing up on the status board. 

Login to Me Too

paulatthehug
Contributor
Contributor

Good, it's not just us then. We've been here before and PayPal always claim it's not them. Then the problem magically goes away.

This time we've even had an automated email from a server claiming it's our fault.

We're continuing to try things our end but it's difficult as PayPal won't even reveal which IP addresses they're sending from where their connections are timing out.

Login to Me Too

Eric-Le
Contributor
Contributor

IPN delay happened a few days ago due to (I guess) a system maintenance. However it started happen again today. Does someone have any info? Thank you so much.

Login to Me Too

hmoorefd
Contributor
Contributor

Still no reply from PayPal...and still hundreds of IPNs retrying... 

These are going to timeout soon, and then it is going to be worse!

Anybody at PayPal can do something?

Thanks!

Login to Me Too

paulatthehug
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not sure anyone from PayPal reads this forum. I have raised a ticket, but the response has been luke warm at best and they're still claiming that the problem is at our end.

Login to Me Too

Eric-Le
Contributor
Contributor

Looking at their status: https://www.paypal-status.com/product/production

All of services are green but for sure, that is not true! At least, their notification service is having a disruption. This is creating a lot of frustration as we have a lot of IPNs retrying and this is affecting us (I believe not only us) so badly. Someone from PayPal, can you please do something?

Thank you!

Login to Me Too

paulatthehug
Contributor
Contributor

This is exactly what has happened on previous occasions too. They never declare an IPN problem, either before or after the event.

We've had a grand total of one IPN today. The rest we've had to handle by hand by watching for incoming emails from PayPal. This is both time consuming and gives a very poor response for our customers, who're used to getting delivery within a few seconds of paying us via PayPal. I had one today where they were complaining within 15 minutes of placing their order, they're so used to instant response.

So it's now 19:52 and I'm still sitting at my desk watching the mailbox and I'll be doing that until 23:00.

Login to Me Too

Eric-Le
Contributor
Contributor

@paulatthehug any update please?

Login to Me Too

paulatthehug
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal have acknowledged, in email, that they do have a problem. But things are no better.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.