PayPal IPN keeps on delaying [AGAIN]

Eric-Le
Contributor
Contributor

Dear all,

About 2-3 days ago, we did experience a significant IPN delay, which affected us so badly. Fortunately, the issue was resolved after around 8 hours. Today, again, the IPN delay issue started happening again, which is very frustrating. Does anyone know why this issue is keep happening and any solution to fix it?

Thank you so much.

Login to Me Too
57 REPLIES 57

ultramoo
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same issue. According to my http access logs, paypal is not even attempting to contact my web server.

In the PayPal IPN History page, its stuck on Retrying, with no HTTP Reponse Code which suggests the problem is happening before it is able to send out the message to my server.

This is indeed a problem on PayPal's side, frustrating. 

retrying-stuck2.png

Login to Me Too

Eric-Le
Contributor
Contributor

@ultramoo welcome to the table, how long have you been encoutering this issue? We first saw it on 29th of September but the issue last for 12 hours. This times, it's already 2 days since its beginning and we are still fighting manually with hundreds of IPNs.

Login to Me Too

ultramoo
Contributor
Contributor

For me the issue started about 2 days ago (2nd of Oct) , between that time, a few transactions did eventually go through even though PayPal still reporting as retrying. But now its completely stopped working.

I have 2 paypal business accounts and the issue is happening on both. 

There is no HTTPs response code so the issue is happening before PayPal attempts to sends the message to my server.

retrying-stuck3-nocode.png

Login to Me Too

Eric-Le
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having exactly the same issue with you. Looking at the logs, it actually started on 2nd of October but with us, 100% of IPN messages went through even PayPal IPN history displays them as retries. Starting 3rd of October, large amount of IPN messages did not go through (still a very small number went through with status Sent). Late 3rd of October till now, no IPN messages go through. All of them are in retries state.

Login to Me Too

pvanthony
Contributor
Contributor

Saw this message when I logged into paypal.

Could this be the issue? Anyone know what needs to be changed in the script.

"From September 11 2023, updated Payment Receiving Preferences may impact the currencies that you can receive payments in. Please review your preferences to continue with normal operation of your account."

And another one below.

"If you are using IPN, you must update your scripts to handle payments in currencies other than U.S. Dollars"

Anyone one know what needs to be updated in the script?

Login to Me Too

Eric-Le
Contributor
Contributor

@pvanthony nope, I don't think so. If that's the case, then we would receive most of the IPNs normally, because most of our payments are in USD. Meanwhile, in the last 12 hours till now, we have not yet received any IPN message from PayPal.

Login to Me Too

pvanthony
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much for the reply.

Looks like we have to wait for paypal to fix the issue.

Login to Me Too

Eric-Le
Contributor
Contributor

I hope they will fix it soon (well at least, don't be too late). I created a ticket with them but all I got from them till now is just an email stated that they are aware of the issue and are working on it. No ETA for the fix at all, maybe in the next few hours? few days? or even weeks? I don't know but this is creating a lot of difficulties for us and it's making PayPal checkout become absolutely not usable at the moment.

Login to Me Too

Arma76
Contributor
Contributor

@ultramoo  We have the same problem, no HTTP response, and some of the IPN listed as Retrying from yesterday were successfully received.2023-10-04_101126.jpg

Login to Me Too

Eric-Le
Contributor
Contributor

@Arma76 according to PayPal's doc, IPN messages will only be retried 15 times. After that, you may have to handle the IPN on your own. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.