Language Preferences

wifeinmidlife
Contributor
Contributor

Help!

I have an account in Spain. Yet my clients are English. How do I change the language preference so that they understand what they have to do in order to buy my products through PayPal.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Andy

wifeinmidlife-  So after about 20 minutes of looking at your code and trying different things, I figured out your problem. 🙂  Here's probably what's happening, how to fix it, and some info on finding solutions to things like this in the future.

First, what's (probably) happening.  When you have a non-US account, unless you specify a different language, our system is supposed to default to the checkout language of the PayPal account making the payment.  In this case, something in your 3rd party cart must be passing a more stringent version of this information which is why it's keeping it in Spanish (since your PayPal account is Spanish, the system's basing the check out on your account, not the person making the payment).  Chrome is a little different because it has a built in auto-translate feature that's turning the Spanish to English (ironically one of the few times that PayPal and Chrome work well together).

Now, the solution!  In the middle of your button code (and if you have a web-programmer, you may want to get them involved in this), you need to add: <input type="hidden" name="lc" value="US">

This will force the system to output the checkout page in English.  Of course, if a non-English customer goes to pay for something, the checkout will remain in English.  So if that's a problem, you may want to speak with your 3rd party cart to see what's causing the problem from their end.

Third, how I found this information.  We have a Website Payments Standard Integration Guide. This is essentially our button manual.  Everything (pretty much) you need to know about creating and coding a button through PayPal is in here. X.com is also a great resource if you need technical assistance.

So, I hope that helps you out.  If you have any questions, feel free to post back and we'll see what we can do.  But I tried that line of code, and it worked!

Andy

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

MichaeLori
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

You may add English content to you website - a page(s) describing your product/service/fees in English

It will help your website SEO too..

When your customer is transferred to PayPal site for the payment - PayPal will offer her the default language (based on her country) and the option to change it to whatever she wants -in the top right corner of the screen.

You may consider add prices in GBP (British pounds).

Hope this helps.

Login to Me Too

wifeinmidlife
Contributor
Contributor

Ok Michael  - can you check this out -  if you go to the bottom of my sales page in English and click on the buy button it will lead you to my next page in English which when you accept  goes automatically to paypal - in Spanish!

http://www.SensiblySelfishSecrets.com

Login to Me Too

wifeinmidlife
Contributor
Contributor

Ok Michael,

Can you please check this out. My sales letter is in English, when you scroll down to the pay section it will lead you eventually to paypal which will then automatically open in Spanish.

We have asked friends all around the world to check this out. If they are using chrome as their browser it will open in their language. Most of my tests did not use chrome and the page opened in spanish.

http://www.SensiblySelfishSecrets.com

Login to Me Too
Solved

PayPal_Andy

wifeinmidlife-  So after about 20 minutes of looking at your code and trying different things, I figured out your problem. 🙂  Here's probably what's happening, how to fix it, and some info on finding solutions to things like this in the future.

First, what's (probably) happening.  When you have a non-US account, unless you specify a different language, our system is supposed to default to the checkout language of the PayPal account making the payment.  In this case, something in your 3rd party cart must be passing a more stringent version of this information which is why it's keeping it in Spanish (since your PayPal account is Spanish, the system's basing the check out on your account, not the person making the payment).  Chrome is a little different because it has a built in auto-translate feature that's turning the Spanish to English (ironically one of the few times that PayPal and Chrome work well together).

Now, the solution!  In the middle of your button code (and if you have a web-programmer, you may want to get them involved in this), you need to add: <input type="hidden" name="lc" value="US">

This will force the system to output the checkout page in English.  Of course, if a non-English customer goes to pay for something, the checkout will remain in English.  So if that's a problem, you may want to speak with your 3rd party cart to see what's causing the problem from their end.

Third, how I found this information.  We have a Website Payments Standard Integration Guide. This is essentially our button manual.  Everything (pretty much) you need to know about creating and coding a button through PayPal is in here. X.com is also a great resource if you need technical assistance.

So, I hope that helps you out.  If you have any questions, feel free to post back and we'll see what we can do.  But I tried that line of code, and it worked!

Andy

Login to Me Too

wifeinmidlife
Contributor
Contributor

Andy,

You are a star! Tekkie buddy has done the changes - all good. Many thanks for your help.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Andy

I'm just happy (and somewhat surprised ;)) that it worked.  Best of luck in your business!

Andy

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.