Withdrawal Pending

banjo72
New Community Member

I normally transfer funds sing my First Direct account but my sister asked if she could use PayPal to transfer some money that she owed me. I looked into this and was told by a ‘helpful’ advisor that as long as my bank account was verified I could transfer the money and it would take up to 2 hours.

I received the money, went to withdraw it and it said it would take two hours but since then my withdrawal has been pending. I spoke to someone else who told me that this was due to it being an unusually high amount of money. The amount is actually £57.77 and I very nearly accused the agent of being unusually high themselves. 

I can can understand why PayPal sometimes have to be careful as they’re not a proper bank but I refuse to believe that there is nobody there that can have a look at this and see it’s not some dodgy scam but a mere transfer of funds between siblings

The 72 hours is up on a Saturday afternoon and I have a nasty feeling that it won’t clear into my bank account until the following working day. This has been a bit of a ball ache for me and but I’m more annoyed at PayPal’s attitude more than anything. It’s lucky that this wasn’t my last £57.77 and I was relying on that money for bills etc. but I bet there are plenty of others out there who do

It goes without saying that I will never use their services again and I’ll stick to real banks from now on

Login to Me Too
62 REPLIES 62

jp385
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same situation, Transferred some cash to my Monzo account (which I have transferred money from before) doing an instant transfer so I had the cash in my account IMMEDIATELY to then get told I have it held as pending!!! WTF Paypal what are you doing??? Oh I know, think of all the interest (I know not much these days) they can accrue by borrowing your funds for 72 hours and earn huge amounts of interest. 

I have message PP several times but like all good scammers, they do not reply. I have taken a few surveys that have popped up on my pages when trying to get through but think that is probably a waste of effort as well looking at the date on some of these posts.

If PP had put a warning on the withdrawal to say this is subject to a review because of XYZ I would not be writing this today and would be fine with it!!! I just feel sorry for the people who end up out of pocket because of this practice, I am lucky this time I can scrape by. 

Sort it out PP....

P.S. looking forward to PP answering this after 72 plus hours    🤣

Login to Me Too

Zico1973
Contributor
Contributor
I’ve taken them to the FCA. They have refused to answer a formal complaint and even issue a complaint reference which is against FCA regulations. More people who take this action more will be done to stop them doing this. Also this is against Treating Customers Fairly. They are quick enough to take their money from it. Will reply again when the FCA investigate.
Login to Me Too

PhilHR
Contributor
Contributor

Hear, hear!!!

Login to Me Too

EHare
Contributor
Contributor
I am having this same problem, security checks can not be used as a valid argument unless you have to do them every single time even after just doing them. For instance I just recieved a withdrawal after waiting 72 hours just to withdraw again the same day and have to wait 72 hours. I believe I am on my 5th 72 hour wait. One after the other. What annoys me is after I press withdraw I am brought to a screen which tells me my withdrawal will be complete within 2 hours, I please suggest that you change this screen to within 72 hours to not frustrate people. At least this way if they get their money early it's a bonus but if they have to wait 72 hours it's to be expected. I believe 2 hours is a better advertisement maybe but it just leads to frustration. Another annoyance is after the first 72 hours wait and speaking to a member PayPal about it, I was informed that it was because of a security check we appologis for the inconvenience and in future it should only take 15 mins - 2 hours. However here I am. I'm relatively new to PayPal but I am being put off the service pretty quickly, actually seeing as paying other people for goods don't lead to problems (maybe for the reciever who can't withdraw). It would be more accurate to say the PayPal's service has made me think twice about using eBay to sell items. I am not rich I am not a business, during my life I have collected things such as figures of characters I like, however sometimes if I am in need of extra cash to pay a bill I am short for or to get my kids something they need before I am paid, then I am willing to let a figure or two go in order to raise some quick cash, however with this service I am honestly better off gritting my teeth and baring through it until I am paid again. Maybe PayPal just is not for people like me 😞 Which is fair enough but if I wasn't told it was for a security check and wouldn't happen in future after each withdrawal then I probably wouldn't of used the service in the first place the other times. This will be my last withdrawal/selling on eBay for the reasons I have said and I no longer trust that it will take less than 2 hours. However I hope expressing how I feel will lead people to what they can expect if they are going to use PayPal and more suited to my situation or I hope it helps PayPal make a change in their service for future customers. However these posts I can see are dated back years so obviously this is an on going problem with no signs of fix. The biggest theory online is that it is some sort of interest scam.
Login to Me Too

Ph0en1x34
Contributor
Contributor

Currently waiting for same thing £1800 withdrawn to my bank, told it will take 72 hours and is currently pending. only 2 hours left... lets see if its released! ! (this is after it being on hold as i had to get the buyer to confirm he received the goods, its one thing after another)

Login to Me Too

AJLS90
Contributor
Contributor

Same thing with me but £271. 72hours is long waiting for your own money to go to your bank,

Login to Me Too

CZ4848

Hello, I was using money to feed starving children in the migrant caravan in Mexico City, and the funds I raised were time sensitive, as they will only be here a few days. But you have held the money I have tried to transfer to my bank as pending. I need it ASAP to feed these children. Is there anyway to expedite this process? Thank you.

Login to Me Too

PhilHR
Contributor
Contributor

Another non-answer from PayPal! Smiley Mad

Login to Me Too

knoxy2k9
Contributor
Contributor
Tried to withdraw my money from paypal and when i withdrew its said pending
Login to Me Too

Dawndeecis
Contributor
Contributor
😡 I used paypal to send my daughter $. I needed it send ASAP but instead, PayPal held my $ for 72 hours! Now my daughter's account is overdrawn, even when it said it would be transferred in seconds! Now the $ has been pulled from my checking, but still PENDING!!!! On both ends! Give me my $ PayPal, I'm disgusted! Why couldn't I cancel the transaction when, I realized it was taking to long? I would of cancel and used a better service, but you don't offer this. Let me decide if I want to wait 72 hours! There is no point of calling customer service because it's a waste and a complete joke. I have used PayPal for 10 years and this is how you treat your loyal customers? You better step it up PayPal, there are now many sites out there to transfer $. I will NEVER trust you again! I will use a site that does the transfer immediately. Please stop with your story " for security reason" it's a bunch of BS!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.