Paypal automatically updated my card details on a joint account and they are now charging my card.

charcharfarr95
Contributor
Contributor

As stated above I had a joint account with someone but it was under their name, as my card expired last month I figured it wasn't an issue to remove it, however its been automatically updated and they have charged on my card without my permission. we are not on speaking terms, but I have asked them multiple times to remove the card to no avail. I have given pay pal all of the info of the account and only asked that the cards in my nam be removed and they have refused/cannot complete that action. I was repetitively told to just order a new card and then they won't have access to it but how did that account update my new details to start with and then won't it just do that with the new details? 

please help!

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@charcharfarr95 

PayPal was able to update the card’s info because of this in the user agreement:

”Link or Unlink a Payment Method

You can link or unlink a debit card, credit card, or an Australian bank account to your PayPal account as a payment method. Please keep your payment method information current (e.g. credit card number and expiration date). If this information changes, we may update it using information and third party sources available to us without any action on your part. If you do not want us to update your card information, you may remove your payment method from your PayPal account. If we update your payment method, we will keep any preference setting attached to such payment method. You may choose to confirm your card, so that we can verify that the card is valid and that you are the card owner.”

https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_AU#linking-funding

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

charcharfarr95
Contributor
Contributor
I appreciate that’s how they updated the information - I think it’s I retesting the customer service rep I spoke to seemed to have no idea of this. This also means if I just get a new card the same thing will happen again? How can I end this cycle without having access to the account? It is being used fraudulently can I report it for that?
Login to Me Too

charcharfarr95
Contributor
Contributor
@paypal
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@charcharfarr95 

We are not paypal, we are forum community members the same as you are that give up their time to help on here.

All you can do is close that card account OR remove the card from that paypal account if you still have access to it.

Its against paypal rules to add another persons card to a paypal account and you can't have a joint personal account.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.