Paypal applied an exchange rate even if I rejected that option.

MLP1982
Contributor
Contributor

So... couple of days ago got a bill on paypal in EUR. I released the payment without currency conversion (so in EUR). Without my knowledge PayPal applied an exchange rate to GPB, as they claim my credit card is GBP (my card is revolut, so can handle whatever currency).

Needless to say that the EURGBP exchange rate was a ripoff (4% off).

I tired to get in touch with paypal, and they keep saying that the issue is with my credit card. This is not true, as I explicitly rejected the exchange this option.

Do you have a suggestion on what I could do next?

What can I do to escalate this?

Thanks

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

MLP1982
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Everyone, it has been now more than one week that paypal stole me 30EUR (4%) of my transaction by forcing a currency conversion which I rejected BEFORE doing the transaction.

I tired to contact the support already but that did not help. Do you have a suggestion on how to escalate this?

Thanks

Login to Me Too

meklare
New Community Member
I have the same issue. My card is in USD (Payoneer). I bought a product in USD for $75, but Paypal charged me additional $6,5 USD because it made a double conversion from USD to GBP and then back to USD. Why is that? I haven't authorized that. However, I can't open the page with managing of my automated payments to unselect such conversion. It simply doesn't let me access that page. I keep seeing an error page. If this is the new normal, I have to cancel all my future PayPal transactions and select either a card option, or another intermediary... Strange situation. Also couldn't find an option to contact PayPal. Their options of disputes didn't include the issue with PayPal itself (not with merchant, as the merchant is alright). Need help on how to remove these unauthorized conversions. Or how to contact PayPal on this?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.