paypal will take the money form seller if buyer claims merchandise not as described

bklynny
Contributor
Contributor

Sellers should know that it doesn't matter if the merchandise you shipped was the right item. Any buyer claiming merchandise not as described will get their money back and you have no protection what so ever .  Paypal will take the money from you , they don't care if it's true or not. If the buyer sayd item not as described . Your protection is gone regarless of the truth.

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bklynny

In the case of an item received but not as described dispute it is impossible to know who is telling the truth.

So YES paypal tend to find in favour of the buyer BUT the buyer has to send the item back to the seller trackable to prove delivery before they are refunded.

No different than buying an item from a shop and changing your mind and returning it for a refund.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

bklynny
Contributor
Contributor

that's not true. The buyer filed with his credit card company. He doesn't have to send it back. I didn't get it back and paypal still took the money. Paypal said it's up to the credit card company to force the buyer to return it.

It doesn't matter what you say. They don't even try to determine if the item is as described. the truth is irrelevant. The credit card company charges PayPal and PayPal will take the money from the seller. You have no protection. There is no seller protection if the buyer lies or doesn't return the item. They don't give you any protection if the card issues charges back the item. They are lying when they use the word seller protection. Seller Beware.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

It is important to understand PayPal seller protection policies when accepting PayPal payments for sales. 

Seller protection does not cover item not as described.  PayPal has no way to accuratetly determine if product is as described or not.

Login to Me Too

bklynny
Contributor
Contributor

they don't try to determine even when it's clear the buyer is lying. they can't even get the item to be shipped back. if the buyer disputes with the credit card issuer. You loose all the protection. Even ebay said the seller protection is only if the buyer disputes the issue through ebay. so you will loose in all fronts when they buyer calls the credit company.

paypal has no seller protection they are the same as any card processor.

ebay has no seller protection if the buyer disputes with his credit card company. Even though they send emails to use the global shipping program and they will protect the seller. It's not true.

Login to Me Too

William9
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Never ever sell anything valuable using eBay / PayPal if you wan't to avoid headaches, only sell stuff that you can easily afford to lose. I know it is difficult if your potential buyers live overseas.

PayPal opens possibilities for scammers and it just cannot protect sellers from them. If only PP would allow you to limit how buyers can fund their purchases, so you could only accept certain funds. It would also be great if PP would require evidence from both parties and actually look at them before making decision, but I guess there are just too many transactions going on and it's just easier and faster to give buyer his money back.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bklynny

Well if you don't give the facts then we can't give you correct info.

You did not say it was a chargeback.

A chargeback is done directly by the buyer with their credit card companies, paypal do not make the decision the credit card company do.

And yes credit card companies NEVER tell a buyer to send an item back, they just get the buyers money back if they feel that they received a deficient item.

And paypal provide seller protection but it can never be a 100% coverall for sellers, its up to you to risk assess your transactions and decide what you want to sell and to whom.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Always remember when selling in cyberspace-dont sell anything you cant afford  to lose.

Paypal or credit card issuer cannot tell who is telling the truth,so asking the buyer to return the item and issue a full refund would be fair for both parties.

In the future,try to work it out with the buyer so you will at least get your merchandise back.

Login to Me Too

Espen_83
Contributor
Contributor

No, the buyer can just send a bag of rocks and the outcome would be the same. The seller is out of his cash and product.

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Without knowing what you sold and what has been going on between you and your buyer before she filed a chargeback with her cc issuer.

One can only advise,try to work with the buyer ,either ask her to return the item or offer a partial refund.

If not,then the buyer will file a dispute with Ebay or Paypal,Paypal will ask the buyer to return the item on her dime and refund her money in full.

Ebay will make you send her a return shipping label and charge it to your seller acount Or IF YOU HAVE A NO RETURN POLICY,Ebay will let the buyer keep the item and refund her in full,they figure you dont want your item back.

By the time buyer has to go to her cc issuer to file a chargeback,usually it means she has tried and failed to reach an agreement with the seller.

What she told her cc issuer ,youwill not know,she could say you refuse t o allow return,hence cc issuer will let her keep the item and refund her in full,plus a $20 chargeback fee you have to pay.

So you end up working for nothing-you lost the item,your shipping and been slapped with $20 chargeback fee .

It is always better to allow return 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.