Fraud: phone number added to my account

ErikAN
Contributor
Contributor
I am posting this because I saw an earlier post by a PayPal customer with the same issue. The PayPal response was that it likely happened because she called into PayPal from a work or other phone and that number number was automatically added to her PayPal profile. She was also told that this “gremlin” had been fixed and how secure PayPal is. I didn’t see any response from the customer after the PayPal response, and I think the case is still open or unresolved. Perhaps this is was what caused her phone number to be added. But, i’m certain that isn’t true for me. I have never called PayPal from any phone. I’ve always been able to resolve issues online. Anyway, shortly after receiving the PayPal email about the phone number being added, I received another email stating suspicious activity has been detected in my account and told to me log into my PayPal account . I was suspicious until I a pin was sent to my cell phone that I needed to use to login. I immediately changed the password and will remove the bogus phone number from my account as soon as I have access to WiFi. I didn’t notice any changes in my account balance or anything else. I’m not sure if this is relevant, but I also noticed that my iPhone location when Safari browsing is now somehow set to the Bahamas. This is a problem because I’ve never been to the Bahamas and I’m currently in Alaska. I’m not using a VPN and yesterday my iPhone location shown in safari was not the Bahamas. This may or may not be related to my PayPal added phone number issue, but wanted to mention just in case. Erik
Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.