Activities doesn't make sense.

sandy2409
Contributor
Contributor

Hello!

I'm getting really frustrated with this because I can't work out whether it's me being thick or Paypal being confusing (doesn't help with the terrible time trying to get in contact with them to ask for help!)

Anyway, this is where I need some help.

I had to transfer a friend some money from my credit because we got refunded the money that we paid for flights that was cancelled due to COVID. He doesn't have paypal and I couldn't use the Xoom service either for some reason. So what I did was opened up another paypal account so I could transfer the money using my original paypal account to my second paypal account, from my credit card and withdraw it to my own bank account and transfer it to him through my bank. 

Are we all keeping up so far? lol

This transaction was on the 3rd October, which was a Saturday. 

When I went to do this transaction, I realised I was transferring the money from an old bank account and not my credit card. I cancelled it immediately. 

I then did the same transaction again but made sure the money was coming from my credit credit. The money went from my original paypal to my second paypal account. 

However, a couple of days later, I got a text from my bank saying I've gone into my overdraft for the exact same amount I was trying to refund my friend. 

I've checked my credit card statement and only one payment on the date I did this transaction has come out.

I've checked my bank account and it shows the amount I transferred through gone into my bank account and transferred over to my friend, on the 5th October. So two days later, which makes sense because of business days blah blah.

However,on the 7th October, a transaction of the same amount on my bank account (which made me go into my overdraft!) was taken and that amount can no-one where be found?? 

From my understanding, I'm missing money? Now i get that it takes longer to refund/cancel requests so although I cancelled it after I did the transaction because it was from a bank account and not a credit card, it takes longer? I don't know but either way, from my understand, I am missing £345!!

Can anyone help on what to do next?

Thanks 🙂 

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

Zaynoo
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Sandy, sorry to hear about this. I was really confusing reading all your transactions hehe.

I can understand if it seems confusing, the money however does not just vanish so it will either come back to your paypal account or your bank account. Have you tried contacting your bank account for them to look at the charges made?

If you want you can also contact paypal trough the message center, they reply within 24 hours and are actually really helpfull.

I will provide you with a link to the message center.

https://www.paypal.com/smc/customer

Login to Me Too

sandy2409
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the reply! Im glad it's not just me who is confused by the whole thing!

I'll get in contact with my bank and see if there's anything they can do.

Well, I did send them a message on Friday and I haven't heard anything from them so that's adding to my frustrations! I'll message again and see if I can get a response! 

Login to Me Too

Zaynoo
Contributor
Contributor

I understand that this can be frustrating and I will for sure try and help you as best as I can.

Your bank will have the correct transactions of all the transactions and therefor easier to know where you money might have gone. 

If there has been some payments that have been cancelled they will either return to your bank or debet card, if not they will return to your paypal balance. Have you checked both accounts?

Login to Me Too

sandy2409
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much!!

When I click on the transaction more information, the one that i originally canceled, it says "the original purchase was on the 3rd October" so it brings up another summary and it shows 

"-negative £345.00
PENDING 3 October 2020
Money sent

£345.00 was refunded on3rd October 2020 to funding source. 

Paid with
[Bank information here]
£345.00
[Bank informaiton here]
£345.00"

Luckily, Im on live chat with my bank and they're recalling the payment. Edit: He's having a problem recalling the payment now! 

I've checked BOTH paypal accounts every day because I thought it might be an issue and take upto 7 working days so If I did it on Saturday, then it wouldn't "technically" go through till the Monday??

Login to Me Too

Zaynoo
Contributor
Contributor

Great! Hope your bank can just return the payment and then for you to get this fixed. 

It it says 7 days it may be 7 bussiness days.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.