About to be scammed?

Rscat
New Community Member

I sold a rare record last week on eBay for £650. Sent special delivery, got an email from the buyer saying this

hello, just for your information we bought this record for an associate, he does not speak or read english, 

he has listened to this record and says “the record does not play great”

he is is considering applying for a refund with PayPal buyer protection as he disagrees with the description.

i should have his answer tomorrow, 

regards.

now this record was actually better condition than I’d listed , it played great for a 40 year old record.

im convinced this buyer is going to send me back a fake ( there are fakes for sale cheaply and easily)

or something similar, what can I do, the whole message reeks of a scam, I tried ringing PayPal but it’s customer service is 

shut now.

any advice? Am I right in thinking PayPal won’t refund until he has returned the item, hence my worry he is going to send something different than I sent.

thanks.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Rscat 

PayPal won't award the money/case to buyer until item is returned. If you were returned a brick or to a nearby address, file report with police: 

https://www.actionfraud.police.uk and get documentation from post office if delivered to different but nearby address and present this information when you report the buyer for abusing the buyer protection program and appeal the case either in the resolution center or by calling customer service. Not sure if that would ultimately get your funds or the record back but the incident will be on the buyer's account.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

PayPal only looks to see if the item was returned to your address with the tracking number. Whether the item is different than you received or not, usually you can only report the buyer for abusing their system. They'll pretend to look at it, and you will have lost your item, and the money. PayPal can't tell who's telling the truth, but they always side with the buyer in most cases. Especially when the buyer seems to be following the rules, and claiming it is not as described is a common loophole to use. All you can do then is file a police report, and probably get told it is a "civil dispute". Basically, forget about the money and your item, and let PayPal run its course.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.