Do PayPal give a damn about fraud

Smiles09
Contributor
Contributor

I have recently been done by fraud and PayPal have just let it slip and haven't even taken a word I have told them serious, at first they said I listed my item incorrect and now as it was a £100 voucher they are saying it isn't covered but all I want them to do is investigate it and actually try and prevent it from happening but they don't seem to care as long as they have their money! There is a clear loop hole in the system here where anyone can get hold of prepaid vouchers and then just say someone used their account and then use that gift card to purchase items as PayPal will do nothing but be on there side. So yeah does PayPal really care about fraud? In gutted that they have treated me so bad and I've used PayPal for alot of money transfers etc and feel very let down by them

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Smiles09

Paypal 'do' exactly what they say they will do if you take the time to read up on their seller protection.

11.10 What are examples of items/transactions/cases that are not eligible for PayPal seller protection?

1. For:
    1. Payment Recipients with their registered address outside the UK: digital goods and licences for digital content.
    2. Payment Recipients with their registered address in the UK: intangible items (including digital goods and licences for digital content) and services.
      Where PayPal in its own discretion may make certain intangible items (including digital goods and licences for digital content) and/or services eligible from time to time, unless otherwise agreed in writing with PayPal, the following will always remain ineligible:
      1. Items equivalent to cash (including, without limitation, stored value items such as gift cards and pre-paid cards).
      2. Payments made in respect of financial products and investments.
      3. Donations.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Smiles09
Contributor
Contributor
Yeah I wouldn't expect anything else from a multi billion pound company against a hard working class man, that's how it works but you sound just like PayPal lol copy and paste everything and not actually ready what I said. I asked if they actually care about fraud, I don't care about the money, I know PayPal only care about money and not people's well being as this has hit me kinda hard as some of us do suffer pretty bad mental health issues and this does help their suicide thoughts but yeah PayPal are money money I get that. But like I clearly stated do they actually investigate and care about fraud when it happens? I thought it was in their own best interests to actually investigate it cos they would if they was outta pocket!
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Smiles09

Your welcome.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Smiles09 wrote:
Yeah I wouldn't expect anything else from a multi billion pound company against a hard working class man, that's how it works but you sound just like PayPal lol copy and paste everything and not actually ready what I said. I asked if they actually care about fraud, I don't care about the money, I know PayPal only care about money and not people's well being as this has hit me kinda hard as some of us do suffer pretty bad mental health issues and this does help their suicide thoughts but yeah PayPal are money money I get that. But like I clearly stated do they actually investigate and care about fraud when it happens? I thought it was in their own best interests to actually investigate it cos they would if they was outta pocket!

How can something like this be prevented though? Or investigated? Even if vouchers were covered. How would PayPal REALLY know fraud was in the buyer's mind? This isn't Minority Report. Certain info PayPal just disregards because its one's person's word against another. They have to be objective. There are so many cases that come through and PayPal just picks a winner (and they don't always get it right), either according to their dispute terms or their AI computer picks one. At the same time, no one here calls the shots or has access to your account. We're just PayPal users like you are. We can just tell you advice that you can win with and honestly, you cannot win with this. You can call and speak to a dispute rep but as previously mentioned gift cards, vouchers, etc are not covered so it's going to be like talking to a wall. This is an unlucky situation. 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

Paypal processes 1 bllion transactions in a year,there are many disputes and inquries ,that's why they bring in the robot.

Like Sharpie pointed out,some items are just not covered ,you should make a copy and paste it by your workstation,

people just keep ignoring the fact that virtual,digital goods,financial instruments,real estate etc etc motorized vehicles,customs order etc are just not covered.

if you have done your homework ,you would not be selling a giftcard or voucher using Paypal to accept payment.

Paypal has investigated,thats why they come up with the list for you to keep informed. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.