Security Key usage for sign -in

Heyou
Contributor
Contributor

Just a short ?

Does PayPal support the use of physical security keys for log-in.  I cant find any reference to the use of separate individual plug-in security keys used for secure log-in on search providers and app's by the PayPal site.  I have added my key to eBay and was going to complete the protection of the links between the two sites.

Thank You

M.D. Linn

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Bindu

Hello @Heyou,

Thank you for joining our community forum!

PayPal’s 2-step verification gives you an extra layer of security. Once you activate this feature, we'll send you a unique, random 6-digit access code each time you try to log in. Simply enter this code to access PayPal. You can find the set up details here : 2-step verification

Best wishes!

BIndu

If you feel this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

PayPal_Bindu

Hello @Heyou,

Thank you for joining our community forum!

PayPal’s 2-step verification gives you an extra layer of security. Once you activate this feature, we'll send you a unique, random 6-digit access code each time you try to log in. Simply enter this code to access PayPal. You can find the set up details here : 2-step verification

Best wishes!

BIndu

If you feel this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

AccidentalAngel
Contributor
Contributor

This didn't answer @Heyou's question. They wanted to know about physical security keys, such as the ones sold by Yubico and Google.

The answer is that yes, PayPal does support using a physical security key as a second verification method. Unfortunately, they currently do a poor job of it because they only support one physical key even though the best practice is to have a second physical key as backup.  So if you lose your little key fob and don't have a backup verification method, you are locked out of your account.

PayPal 2-step verification with a physical security key and backup code generator authenticator appPayPal 2-step verification with a physical security key and backup code generator authenticator app

PayPal also incorrectly claims that physical keys only work on desktop devices, even though there are several varieties of keys that work with phones and tablets using USB-C, Apple Lightning, and/or wireless NFC.

screenshot of PayPal.com claiming Safari on iPhone does not support physical security keysscreenshot of PayPal.com claiming Safari on iPhone does not support physical security keys

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.