Paypal logs in without password despite auto-login turned being off

aperakh
Contributor
Contributor

At least twice now - once on my phone and once on windows desktop - PayPal logged me in to authorize payment without even asking for password or even showing a login in screen.
I tripled checked that auto-log in is turned off and I find nothing labeled "one touch".

Also double checked that there are no logged in devices. And no websites I don't want with info access (only PayPal community, in fact).

And yes, I double checked that the log in Info is no memorized into my browser either, though that would not have explained it.

So what's going on and how do I stop this SERIOUS security breach?
It's almost like PayPal is intentionally trying to compromise my security.

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@aperakh 

There’s some sort of change that PayPal did with this. Check your email inbox for emails titled “Stay logged in on this trusted device” about PayPal recognizing your device because you logged in a few times and will still be logged in to skip typing your password for certain actions like checkout and your auto-login will still be off. There’s a link in the email that leads to the same auto login setting to turn it off but once you do, you’ll encounter a quick security check every time you log in for everything (ie. Checkout, account access).

I think the whole point is to sync auto login to the specific device. That’s the best way I can explain it.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

aperakh
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks sharpiemarker!

You were right. Doing a search of deleted emails, found one dating all the way back to January 2021.

had 3 other devices on it too that were on auto-log in whiteout my agreement or knowledge.

The weird thing is it didn't actually ever do it (log in without pass) until just now.

And the thing is I LOOKED for this all over the account before posting and it claimed I had no logged in devices until I found that old email and link.

It's as though PayPal continuously intentionally tries to trick you to compromise your security.

Same thing with merchants automatically being added to automatic payment without your consent or even knowledge. It's like they're working with the scammers instead of the buyers.

Login to Me Too

aperakh
Contributor
Contributor

Also, did you know that if you enter your password into a pop-up on a website authorizing a PayPal payment, you automatically stay invisibly fully logged into PayPal website in the background?
Even if you never opened a PayPal tab and already logged out of that merchant.
Meaning if you're at aa public terminal and walk away, anyone who sits down and opens a PayPal tab right away has full access to your PayPal account!
And there is nothing to warn you of it, either!

Seriously, it's like they want you to get hacked, but with deniability of responsibility on their part,

Wonder if there's been lawsuits already?

Login to Me Too

KDBD
New Community Member

Yes agree.  Every time I buy something via paypal and it re-directs me back to the company I am buying from.  I then have to manually go to google website and search paypal, click the link....and guess what I am still logged into paypal in the background - MASSIVE SECURITY BREACH - should not be happening. 

Login to Me Too

KDBD
New Community Member

Hello - as suggested I have gone to the email, clicked the link and turned off auto login for this devise....my Laptop and iPhone.  However the very next time I purchase and Login manually from either of these devises, Paypal auto turns it back on again and I have to repeat the process to turn it off again and again.  It is extremely frustrating.....any suggestions how to make paypal stop trying to turn auto login back on.  It seems again they want to try create security breaches instead of protecting us from breaches.  

Login to Me Too

aperakh
Contributor
Contributor

It seems again they want to try create security breaches instead of protecting us from breaches

Yes, that's exactly what it looks like.
Not clear what the logic behind that might be. Or can it really be such massive incompetence form a multi-million dollar company.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.