How do I disable one-time codes

Only1KW
Contributor
Contributor

Recently when logging in, Paypal has started offering me the option of logging in with a one-time SMS code to my phone rather than a password.  This seems incredibly insecure to me and I'd prefer not to have it on my account.  I cannot find any way to disable this when I check my account settings.  I've spoken with half a dozen agents at this point about this, and half have told me it can't be disabled and half told me they'd send me instructions on how to disabled it, but either the instructions never arrived or were not relevant.  How do I go about disabling this feature on my account?

Login to Me Too
106 REPLIES 106

SpiffSpaceman
Contributor
Contributor
Welp I tried logging in from location ten miles away and still had option for text one time code. Here is the latest response from PayPal agent. “Thank you for this information. However what was said is the correct information. It is disabled so you do not have the 2 factor on. Our security feature do rely on you have control of you devices. Yes, our security system can detect if a login attempt is "irregular", but it is your responsibility to maintain security of your actual devices. Sometimes the security system say it wants to send a code if it feels like you may be compromised. This would be outside of the two factor authentication which is currently disabled. We cannot turn of our security system though. If you were to loose your phone i suggest you attempt to call us we can lock the account.”
Login to Me Too

7_4WarFuror
Contributor
Contributor

The grammar, punctuation, and spelling in that reply hardly inspire confidence, do they? 

I tried the same thing- grocery store, 4 miles away from home, still have the option to get a one-tome code.  Playing trivia 32 miles away, still have the option to get a one-time code. 

It's complete BS.  I use PP through a browser, not an app.  So I am 99% sure the only time they can gather "safe location" data is when I actually pull up the page in a browser, vs. an app, that can hoover up location data anytime, if settings allow.  So it's unclear, given that, how they build this knowledge of "safe" locations.

Login to Me Too

7_4WarFuror
Contributor
Contributor

I just removed my bank info.  Had to leave the credit cards there, or PP would be useless.  But credit cards give you some protection that you don't have with a bank account and I can't justify the risk any more.  

Login to Me Too

captainsparrow6
New Community Member
It's an absolute joke. I can't belive a company of this magnitude to not listen. I hate the sms login, if I have no signal I can't use PayPal. Great 🤮 please get rid of this feature @paypal 🤯
Login to Me Too

texaswolfdog
Contributor
Contributor
What I did to prevent a one-time passcode from being sent to my phone was to block the number that PayPal texts me from. It worked! I still get emails and notifications confirming my purchases. Hope this works for y'all.
Login to Me Too

Only1KW
Contributor
Contributor

@texaswolfdogDid you block it from your phone or your provider?  If you block it from your phone, that doesn't really protect against a 3rd party attack.  If your provider is blocking it, that probably is helpful, as I'd hope it's harder to unblock it from there.

Login to Me Too

texaswolfdog
Contributor
Contributor
I blocked texts from PayPal on my phone. I did not have the provider block it. Also, I have my PayPal app set up to only log in with a PIN. My phone is also set up to lock after 1 minute of inactivity. I also use a PIN to unlock it, no fingerprints or face recognition. I don't even get asked to have a one-time code sent anymore. Maybe there's been an update on PayPal's end also.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.