How do I disable one-time codes

Only1KW
Contributor
Contributor

Recently when logging in, Paypal has started offering me the option of logging in with a one-time SMS code to my phone rather than a password.  This seems incredibly insecure to me and I'd prefer not to have it on my account.  I cannot find any way to disable this when I check my account settings.  I've spoken with half a dozen agents at this point about this, and half have told me it can't be disabled and half told me they'd send me instructions on how to disabled it, but either the instructions never arrived or were not relevant.  How do I go about disabling this feature on my account?

Login to Me Too
106 REPLIES 106

ivmm
Contributor
Contributor

Hacked again! I changed BOTH my email and password last time, I still have my 2FA enabled, but the hacker was able to log in to my account and send money to another PayPal user in just a few minutes.

It's getting ridiculous: I keep entering 2FA even to access this forum, but hackers can log in with a one-time code, completely ignoring my password. 😣

Login to Me Too

RRando101

Another seriously unhappy customer about this option. I've been getting several security code requests texted to my phone every day, which means someone is trying to hack into my account. Do they need my password? NOPE! That is the OPPOSITE of secure. Ridiculous. For now, I've removed all my banks and cards except for one, since I am required to have a backup. I sent a support message to Paypal, but if they can't get it resolved, I'll just delete my account.

Login to Me Too

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

Amazing....

- I deleted all the cards from my account.

- ensured i have TOTP generated by my password manager.

- logged out

- loggedin, no offer to use sms

- logged out

- logged in, forgot password

- no offer to use sms

Bye, deleting my account before the Paypal RNG focuses on me.

Gonna watch this dumpster fire from the sidelines.

Login to Me Too

andris3
Contributor
Contributor

I remove all my payment methods, changed my phone number and password, and I'm still being asked for SMS authentication.

I still had the option to delete my PayPal account and open a new one or use other systems.

Login to Me Too

andris3
Contributor
Contributor

I deleted my PayPal account and created a new one and it still asks for an SMS.
Stupid PayPay.

Login to Me Too

Temp20230313a
New Community Member

I will try to avoid PayPal.

Login to Me Too

dinuthehuman
New Community Member

Just want to add my voice. What a stupid feature. So there's no way to disable it? I will need to look for a new payment service.

Login to Me Too

KrissyD
New Community Member
PayPal just offered me this "service" for the first time today. I did not even know this was an option and I am horrified to learn now that it has been in place for this long. And I can see from all these posts that PayPal is simply going to ignore our logical concerns about our security and do whatever they want. Do you know what is needed now? The one thing that almost always works, especially when a corporation clearly, willfully endangers the security of its customers: *CLASS ACTION SUIT*
Login to Me Too

ciaagent

When I saw this "feature" I had the same concern as everyone here does. Although Paypal should fix this security hole. I found a workaround go to your Profile Settings -> Login and security -> click update on Phone. Change it from Mobile to home. That will no longer give the option to use the insecure one time password.

Login to Me Too

Only1KW
Contributor
Contributor

I don't seem to have the option to change my phone number from mobile to home.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.